HELP! Stalling out question!

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS with a vec 1. I am having an intermitten problem with the car losing power, backfiring, and eventually stalling out and not being able to start. I took it to a dealership and they said it was the fuel pump. They replaced it and replaced the fuel filter. I drove it about 100 miles and it was fine. Then it started to act up on me again and left me stranded on 95. My only option was to tow it back to the dealership. The dealer had it stall on them once and since then it ran fine. They can not get it to act up again and do not know what is causing the problem. I refuse to take the car back until the problem is found and fixed. Has anyone else had a problem like this and what was the fix so that I can tell the dealership what to look for? Thanks

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same symptoms but replacing the fuel pump fixed the problem. Start your diagnosis by bypassing the fuel pump relay and driving it. If it still stalls then you know it's something with the fuel pump, fuse or power to it. If it doesn't stall then it's something controlling the relay or the relay itself. This is all assuming it is a fuel related problem.

OP
OP
F

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Bruce. The dealership also told me today that I am getting about 20 pounds of fuel pressure instead of around the 50 that it should be. I hope they find the problem soon because I've been without my car for over 2 weeks now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang