HELP, Viper won't start!!

Lefty Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP, Viper won\'t start!!

I tried to start my Viper today and all I got was the clicking noise of the starter turning but the engine wouldn't kick over.
I thought it may be the battery, when I turn the key to the "on" position the battery meter only goes to the red zone. However, the lights and radio work. Could the battery be too low to start the car but not dead?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
It's a 94 RT/10 with 8K miles, never raced. All fluids are fine and recently replaced. Plenty of gas as well.

I live in the Charlotte area if anyone is nearby.
Thanks, looking forward to your help!

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP, Viper won\'t start!!

Thats what it sounds like. Starter drains way more than radio and lights. Try to jump it, that should give you your answer.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sounds like the same probs i had with mine put new battery on and it has been fine since.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Battery is dead. There might be enough juice to turn the lights and horn but not enough amps for the starter.

How old is the battery? Replace it and it should be fine.

Jumping might not start it unless you use a high amp source.

OP
OP
L

Lefty Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just tried to jump it. It definitely made a difference as now I'm able to get it to barely turn over, but not start. It almost seems as if it can't get enough spark to start. The jump did get the engine to begin to start, but it can't stay started.
I definitely think it's the battery, however with a jump it should have started right up?

The "alarm set" light and the hazards keep blinking for about 30 seconds after I try to start the car. That's never happened before either.

Perhaps the battery even with a start can't give enough to turn the car over completely?

I'm jumping it with a new battery on my car.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

OP
OP
L

Lefty Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

picflight- I believe your right as it just doesn't seem to be getting enough juice to turn it over.

the battery is the original since '94

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lefty Viper:

the battery is the original since '94

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy shiet! That might be a record!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try hooking it up to jump, run the motor in the jumper vehicle and let it charge the battery in the Viper for 10 minutes or so before trying to start the car. But, if that battery is original I guarantee it is toast, as Chuck says that's a world record, and even if you do jump it succesfully it's going to strand you within a couple days. Get a new one, and be careful jacking the car to get to the battery, easy to damage side sills.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suspect your got the right amount of juice from the jump, but the car won't start because somehow the Alarm shut off the fuel to the engine... Have you reset your Alarm?

Gerald

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

go buy a battery tender & a new battery you'll spend all of $90.00 unless you can't jack the rear in the air, remove the rear drivers side tire, remove some bolts, and replace the battery. once this is done take car for a spin. when you bring your car back home pop the hood and put your battery tender on.
i hope this helps

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lefty, Battery definitely needs to be changed especially if it is that old.

Save yourself all the trouble shooting headaches and change the battery first. It should start on the first try after that.

If for any reason it doesn't, than you can start diagnosing the alternator and so on...

I had a similar problem with the original battery in my Grand Cherokee, my battery was only two years old and I couldn't believe that it could be the battery. I tried jumping with another high performance car thinking that if it the battery a jump would start it, which it did, but Jeep wouldn't stay running. I had to drive home with both feet on the pedals to keep it from stalling.

Newer cars have lots of electronics onboard; computer runs your ignition spark, fuel flow. A good current source is needed to keep it running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper