HELP Viper won't start

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys the battery on my viper died from being stored for over a month, so I charged it up and reset the alarm via the key in the glove box and the viper still won't start.

Its happened in the past but after reseting the alarm it would turn over and start now this time it won't.

Any thoughts, the battery is good its holding its charge.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes a battery can be hot by itself,but once u load it it goes blank,try to crank the car,at the same time see if u have a good loud sounding horn,just a quick thought.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys the battery on my viper died from being stored for over a month, so I charged it up and reset the alarm via the key in the glove box and the viper still won't start.

Any thoughts, the battery is good its holding its charge.

How about a little more detail ? Does the starter crank the engine over at the normal rate? Or are you saying that the starter does not turn the engine over at all and there is no noise from the starter or engine?

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it tries to start and then dies, its trying, if i press on the gas it says on until i let off the gas and dies. samething happened in the past when the battery died but after a charge and reseting the alarm it fired back up but not this time

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Idle Air Controller motor...gets the engine a little air to breathe when throttle(s) is(are) closed.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alarm module is jacked up. I've had this happen before. Pull the positive battery cable under the hood on the driver's side and wait about a minute. Reconnect and the car will start and stay running. I've had the exact symptoms you describe before on my '00 GTS.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alarm module is jacked up. I've had this happen before. Pull the positive battery cable under the hood on the driver's side and wait about a minute. Reconnect and the car will start and stay running. I've had the exact symptoms you describe before on my '00 GTS.

The part about it staying running until letting off the gas sounds to me like the IAC being stuck. Maybe you are right though.

Anyway, here's your IAC:

You must be registered for see images

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here. Try this-

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the battery dies it take the IAC sometime to relearn. If you hold the engine RPMs up it will relearn and should be ok.If it was a alarm issue the engine would still cut off even while holding the gas pedal.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way the engine will start is if I keep my foot on the gas pedal as soon as I lay off the rpms drop and the engine shuts off.

IF I just try and start it without my foot on the gas it won't start. I will try disconnecting the battery terminal +

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way the engine will start is if I keep my foot on the gas pedal as soon as I lay off the rpms drop and the engine shuts off.

IF I just try and start it without my foot on the gas it won't start. I will try disconnecting the battery terminal +

My Super Duty did that once. Stuck IAC. Cleaned it and all is good.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tried to start it again by taking off the positive battery terminal connection under the hood and waiting a minute and putting it back on and nothing samething won't start. I'll try the IAC and see if that works

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just got it started, I took off the IAC and put it back on, then I tried to start it to no evail again, so I pressed on the gas and started it and kept it running by keep my foot on the gas and then it just kept idling on its own after that idleing at 500 rpms just like normal ,,, Thanks goes out to everyone and Tom Sessions you were right.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what im here for. If you havent replace the batery before I would look into putting one in .What happened is a typical low voltage issue.Confuses the PCM untill it has enough power to run the car and relearn the PCM.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHOA>>>>>>>the battery went dead so the computor needs to d a relearn!!!!!!!!!!! Start the car and keep it running with the pedal then drive it around the block and all will be OK!!!!!!!...the computor forgot how you drive and has to relearn it.... been there done that many times...idle die---die---die... after a few drives ti will reset!!!!!!!!.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear you solved the problem. Just curious though... You say you removed the IAC. Did you do anything to it or just inspect it and re-install? They do get carbon buildup inside and occasional cleaning with throttle body cleaner is good for them. I just had mine off to make access to replace the PS valve cover and it was very black inside. Now clean, and when I'm back on the road again will be interesting to see if the occasional idle hang is still there.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting event to report on my now clean IAC. As mentioned above, I had it off to make it easier to R&R the PS valve cover for a cosmetic upgrade to such.

All I did was take it off the intake and hose the inside with about half a can of CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. Then I put it back on.

Things I did not do:

-> Reset PCM

-> Remove battery

-> Let battery die

I did however move my O2 sensors to the merge collectors, but I still will claim weirdness as such:

-> First outing car starts fine, warms up fine. Back it out of the garage and as soon as I put it in 1st to go forward it want to die. I detour around the block in *** mode and by the time I pass the house again all is well.

-> Second outing a few hours later it did it again but only once. The want to die when you put it in 1st to go forward thing.

-> Third outing yet again several hours later it did not do it at all.

So did cleaning my IAC require my engine to re-learn it? It didn't look that dirty.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting event to report on my now clean IAC. As mentioned above, I had it off to make it easier to R&R the PS valve cover for a cosmetic upgrade to such.

All I did was take it off the intake and hose the inside with about half a can of CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. Then I put it back on.

Things I did not do:

-> Reset PCM

-> Remove battery

-> Let battery die

I did however move my O2 sensors to the merge collectors, but I still will claim weirdness as such:

-> First outing car starts fine, warms up fine. Back it out of the garage and as soon as I put it in 1st to go forward it want to die. I detour around the block in *** mode and by the time I pass the house again all is well.

-> Second outing a few hours later it did it again but only once. The want to die when you put it in 1st to go forward thing.

-> Third outing yet again several hours later it did not do it at all.

So did cleaning my IAC require my engine to re-learn it? It didn't look that dirty.

So you're saying it's better to drive around with a IAC that has carbon build up rather than cleaning it. :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying it's better to drive around with a IAC that has carbon build up rather than cleaning it. :D

Uh. No. I'm just thinking that if someone else does this they may need to be aware of what I am now aware of or to make sure they have fresh laundry for when they mash the gas the first time and they crap their pants.