Help, window not retracting when door is opened

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver side door functions properly, but the passenger door window does not lower when the door is opened. Is there a "re-set"? The window functions fine with the switch, and the door latch seems to be functioning correctly.

Oh, in case the year matters, '03

Thanks,

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 Vettes have the same window indexing feature...and they act up from time to time. I think the reset procedure is similar too

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What gives is that the window regulator unit is a piece of crap. I pray that it is not used on the Gen V.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are the best! I am at work right now, but I will try that as soon as I get home. I'll let you know how it works.

These forums are awesome.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the upstop for the window wears and starts allowing the window to go up higher than normal so it just needs the relearn to gets it memory back.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worked! Fixed! Actually I ended up needing to do both windows. Is this going to be a on-going issue?.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worked! Fixed! Actually I ended up needing to do both windows. Is this going to be a on-going issue?.

Me not so lucky!! I did the procedure when my passenger side acted up but only lasted a couple of month before I had to have it replaced. :)(two years ago under warranty)Now my drivers side is doing the same:omg: this as I stare at my new window regulator box as I type this, I just bought it yesterday for $605.00 big ones! (no warranty this time):( My Saturday project!

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still need to get mine taken care of. This fix did it for my passenger side, but my driver's side when it gets about half way up it seems to slide off the motor or something and I need to manually lift the window about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch then the button will do the rest fine.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still need to get mine taken care of. This fix did it for my passenger side, but my driver's side when it gets about half way up it seems to slide off the motor or something and I need to manually lift the window about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch then the button will do the rest fine.

Sounds like the cable stretched and not in full contact with the drive gear..sounds like you will need a window assy soon!:(

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Probably what has happened is the spiral cable inside the regulator has been worn down in that spot. Someone may have blocked the window and the gear ground on the cable for a bit in that spot. This is fairly common with this style of window regulator, however usually this problem occurs near the full up or full down positions, as opposed to in the middle.

Something you can try is to remove the regulator from the door, disassemble it, unscrew the spiral cable from the window brackets and then flip it around and screw the other ends of the cable into the brackets and reassemble. (The cable is reversible.) This causes the gear to mesh with a fresh section of cable. With the worn spot in the middle, there is a chance you might still hit that spot, but this fix is free so its worth a shot. A similar thing you can try is to screw the cable in or out a little bit such that you are turning the cable 180 degrees, to cause the opposite side of the cable to mesh with the gear. If doing this, its possible that the cable might spin back to its original orientation, but usually the cable will stay put and not spin. Again, worth a shot before you drop $1K on a new window regulator. :)

I hope that helps!

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably what has happened is the spiral cable inside the regulator has been worn down in that spot. Someone may have blocked the window and the gear ground on the cable for a bit in that spot. This is fairly common with this style of window regulator, however usually this problem occurs near the full up or full down positions, as opposed to in the middle.

Something you can try is to remove the regulator from the door, disassemble it, unscrew the spiral cable from the window brackets and then flip it around and screw the other ends of the cable into the brackets and reassemble. (The cable is reversible.) This causes the gear to mesh with a fresh section of cable. With the worn spot in the middle, there is a chance you might still hit that spot, but this fix is free so its worth a shot. A similar thing you can try is to screw the cable in or out a little bit such that you are turning the cable 180 degrees, to cause the opposite side of the cable to mesh with the gear. If doing this, its possible that the cable might spin back to its original orientation, but usually the cable will stay put and not spin. Again, worth a shot before you drop $1K on a new window regulator. :)

I hope that helps!

Good suggestions but if you've seen a Viper regulator it's not so easy. I took mine apart and replaced the 'tubes' that hold the worm drive/cable (mine were cracked/broken). Problem is these systems are riveted and bonded at the joints and doing any of your suggestions are not easy for most. These regulators are total **** in my opinion especially for the cost. Good luck to all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang