Help With Installing stock CD Changer In Trunk

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laurie,
I installed the factory CD changer about two years ago, so forgive me if I've forgotten some of the details. First off, placement of the CD changer itself. This is actually the easy part. I think the instructions talk about mounting it vertically between the frame side and spare tire. I was somewhat leary about drilling holes in the trunk, so I actually mounted it with heavy duty velcro horizontally on the frame portion of the trunk. It works great and I could pull it anytime I need to.
The hardest part involves "threading" the connecting cord between the trunk to the radio itself. There is a small hole in the bulkhead between the trunk and interior. To find it involves removing some interior trim pieces behind/beside the passenger seat. Then you need some contortion skills as well as some way of getting the connecting cord from the trunk through that small hole. I would recommend going from the interior side and fishing it from there to the trunk through the rubber grommet on the passenger side of the trunk (that grommet is removable). That "small" hole is really small and takes some doing to make the pin connection through. Make sure you have the cord correctly oriented since the connections themselves are not the same. I used a coat hanger firmly taped to one end of the chord and used it to fish it all the way to the trunk.
The next task involves finding a way to hide the wire to the radio. I ran the wire under the plastic sill and then above the passenger side kick panel to the radio. You will have to pull the center bezel and unscrew several parts of the dash to actually remove the radio to attach the cord.
Sorry this post was so long, but I wish that the instructions had actually had some of this detail to save me some of the headache of figuring it out myself. Good luck and e-mail me if you run into any problems.

Scott "Spike" Keeton
1993 Red RT/10
2001 Red Ram V-10

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Laurie,
Listen to Spike.
I installed my Changer in almost the exact manner in which he did. It went in rather easily.
While it was very nice that the So. Cal. region (of which I belong) went to the trouble of having the installation instructions available, the manner in which they recommend installing the changer looks to be much harder than the way in which Spike and I installed our Changers. The only difference I remember is that I ran the cable from the trunk to the radio between the seats, under the center **** cover, where the shifter,and e-brake are.
There is no need to raise the car off the ground, remove any wheels, crawl under the car etc..
It has been about 9 months since I installed my changer so I am having trouble remembering all the exact details, but if you have any questions, please call or e-mail me, I will be glad to help out a fellow 94 RT/10 owner.
Cheers,
Scott
e mail :[email protected]
home page :scottgf.homestead.com
phone :714 803-0586

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me give you an alternate if the unit is returnable. The stock radio and speakers will limit sound quality. I have the same car and replaced the speakers and radio the first week.

I installed a Sony combination stereo/cd changer. The unit actually matches the viper dash lights at night. The cd player is built into the stereo. The face hinges down and exposes the cd player. My original system had very poor base and treble, that is why I replaced all of the factory speakers.

If this interests you search the archives I listed all of the part numbers back in august/September. I can also e-mail you the details if you are interested.

Jack B

magnumman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where exactly does the factory cd changer go in the trunk. I have a brand new factory Cd changer, no hardware or anything. any help i can get i would be appreciated. would love to see a pic of a cd changer mounted in its factory locaton. Don Smith