Help with Octane again.

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted, previously, about my manual stating that my ACR requires 91% Octane and higher is not recommended. I received some great advice in response.

Previous post

The problem is that all the gas stations I went to have only 87, 89, and 93% octane. Please excuse a possibly stupid question, but can I mix 89 and 93? Today I put 93 in about 3/4 full and 89 the remainder. It may be my imagination, but the car felt stronger and more responsive.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Higher will not hurt anything.
You probably should use the highest pump gas that is available in your area.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought the higher the better as well, but as on the previous post at looks as if the higher octane may be costing me fuel efficiency and performance.

See of the replies below.

"I have always heard the same thing at Tech Sessions I have gone. to. They say the lowest possible octane your car can run on without detonating is the best octane to go with. So if you here your car pinging under a load, go up to the next grade of octane. Otherwise stick with the 91 octane. Try punching your car when you are in third gear at around 1800 rpm . In other words under a load. If you here it ping here especially on a hot day, then go up a notch on the octane if not stay where you are. You will actually get better performance out of your car. Now if you add a supercharger etc. , you will naturally have to go to a higher octane. Out here in California, the highest octane we can get is 91, and it is working with my Sean Roe. So if I can run 91 octane, so can you , unless your car is modded."

"Brannon,

Octane is a fuels rating of it's "resistance to burn". Anytime you compress gas, it makes heat. The more you compress it, either via high compression pistons or forced induction, the more heat it makes. The reason you run high octane fuel when recommended is that it won't pre-ignite simply under the compression heat...it resists it, and waits for the spark plug to light it off. When you're running too high compression, forcing air, and running too little octane, the fuel won't be able to resist pre-igniting, or detonation, and will light the mixture off prematurely. When a piston is still on it's way up, and it decides to blow, and force it down...boom. That's when stuff breaks. So, Dodge figured that with the factory 9.6:1 comp. ratio or thereabout, that 91 octane should be enough. Running higher octane, 100 or maybe even 93, under "normal" conditions will just make it harder for the engine to burn it off. Fuel economy and performance may suffer. That's why if you have a family car rated for 87...anything more is a total waste, and maybe costing performance. But if you have a high comp. engine, especially with turbo, sc, or nos, usually the higher octane the better.

Tom"

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the 93 octane in it and don't worry. You will never know the difference......it is your imagination :)

I have not looked in my manual, but it saying 91 surprizes me unless it was a Ca. car....then it could get weird.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is also worth mentioning that most gas stations don't get shipments of 89 octane... They get 87 and 93 (or 9x). The pump itself does the mixing to get the combined rating.

So if you can charge 1.99 for 87, 2.09 for 87, and 2.19 for 93, but only need to mix 40% of the 93 to get an 89 octane...

So the gas stations make the most $$ on the mid-grade.

JD

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is also worth mentioning that most gas stations don't get shipments of 89 octane... They get 87 and 93 (or 9x). The pump itself does the mixing to get the combined rating.

So if you can charge 1.99 for 87, 2.09 for 87, and 2.19 for 93, but only need to mix 40% of the 93 to get an 89 octane...

So the gas stations make the most $$ on the mid-grade.

JD

Learn something new everyday. :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc