Hennessey vs. Supra???

Reaction score
This race would be too close to call. If we assume both cars are on street tires, the Viper has a big launch advantage which translates into a substantial lead at the 1/4:

1/4 mile predictions:
Viper TT: 10.7 @ 139
Supra TT: 11.5 @ 139

After that, the Supra's superior HP and aerodynamics become factors, and by the end of 1 mile I have
Viper TT: 26.6 @ 204 mph
Supra TT: 27.3 @ 200 mph

That result is close enough that it could be swayed by a number of factors -- does the Supra use NOS to improve its launch? Does either car change gearing? etc.

Let me also add, for the record, that this sort of test is extremely dangerous without a full roll cage. A crash (tire failure, road debris, etc.) at 200 mph would typically result in death for the occupant(s).

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I hope you take him down! Just make sure that he is the best the supra boys have so when you send him home with his tail tucked, all the other little pups on their will tuck and run as well
You must be registered for see images
Please get it on video for us! Most of all, be safe and godspeed!

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's separate the men from the unix*, and do this at Silver State. This would be for the smack-talking title "King of the Street". No excuses, no whining about an unfair start or course or bad gas or ran outta spray... plenty of stop watches and witnesses to record this in a safe and legal environment where top speed, braking and road handling are paramount. If you don't like the results, shut the @#!! up and come back next year.

John- my money is on you is such a venue.

* ****** (pl. unix)- a man or boy deprived of the ****** or external ********. Webster's Ninth New College Dictionary, adapted

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justa,

I've been following the thread on the Supra forum... certainly these cars can be made to be very quick.

However, the 800TT is not the "baddest" Viper in the land - I believe that honor goes to Doug Levin. Last I heard he dynoed at 993RWHP and his RWTQ was off the scale (which ends at 1200RWTQ).

Also, Marko isn't going to be able to spray the whole time and I think it's debatable if his car will be able to run flat out for 1 mile (although I have no reason to think that other than personal opinion). I think Hennessey will win by a good margin. Remember that HMS's car was making it's power on 6lbs of boost. What was Marko running when he hit the 9's? I'm also sure that John will be doing a few little things to the Viper before this race.

And finally, I personally think SW will beat them both

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST OFF, SUPRA KING, HOW DID YOU KNOW DOUG WAS IN SOUTH FLORIDA? YOU KNOWLEDGE OF SIR HISS IS NICE TOO. HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.. LOL!!!!!!

to ppls little knowledge, Doug has to have the baddest vipers around. He just doesn't advertise and his philosophy is he lets his customers do the talking.

Your right, his latest numbers were 933 RWHP, and that was WITHOUT, YES WITHOUT spray. WITH SPRAY his numbers will be nearer to 1,300 RWHP. I would bet my house , car, etc on Dougs car. Bring it on Corvette stomping supras! Step up the big dawgs.. His last numbers on street tires, shocks, full interior, A/C on was 10.X at over 150MPH. Looks like he'll have to bring his parachute????? Hope you guys will bring your flight suits also.

Gerald

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll put my money on Hennesey to give him the one two, and Doug levin to give him the knock-out punch! Looks like the little supra pups nipping on the heals of the Big Dogs.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justa,

Are there any Supras running over 150mph in the 1/4? I thought Tozer/Saad/Marko were pretty much at the top?

From what Gerald said, Doug's car is 993RWHP without NOS, so I think with NOS, there ain't much that can beat that power level, and probably no Supras that could beat the car. Of course, at that level, it's virtually impossible to hook up...isn't Saad's ~850RWHP number still the biggest ever from a Supra? And I think the torque was down a lot lower than 1200lb-ft, no?

I hope they tape this thing... it's too bad some of the folks seem to be taking things personal - I'd love SW to clean house with his TT ZR-1 and shut everyone up... or to see Doug roast them all

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative...but is that 900 RWHP number from Doug really off the juice...just the charger??? Unless we are talking 12+ psi from the SC....and even then, 150 trap speed from an SC only car seems too good to be true. We worked next to Doug at VOI and I distinctly remember the solenoids and plumbing on that car....Doug, if you are out there, clarify this point for me. I am trying to be excited about making power on 6 with John's car....but you are bringing me down if you are making the killer number with just an SC and no juice. Later.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JustaMkivguy:
I dont want this to turn into a supra or viper bash, BOTH cars are incredible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one out of two ain't bad.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
Not to be argumentative...but is that 900 RWHP number from Doug really off the juice...just the charger??? Unless we are talking 12+ psi from the SC....and even then, 150 trap speed from an SC only car seems too good to be true. We worked next to Doug at VOI and I distinctly remember the solenoids and plumbing on that car....Doug, if you are out there, clarify this point for me. I am trying to be excited about making power on 6 with John's car....but you are bringing me down if you are making the killer number with just an SC and no juice. Later.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Kyle -
Nothing to be down about on your end.... You've made quite an accomplishment and should be commended on a job well done. It excites me to see your savvy ambition towards your intended goal and I'm certain you've only skimmed the surface. Your hard work is paying off and it's evident.

In regard to our big horsepower numbers, we can build either way. With or w/o nitrous. Our Level III system is capable of making the big numbers because of the nature of the system. But I can assure you, or anybody else for that matter,
our personal car is not our average (or should I say above average
) Level III system. The engine is constructed as a very high powerplant. We don't emphasize power on the boost number side. Our main concern is the most CFM we can flow to make the most power. We can run 8lbs of boost with nitrous and make "x" amount of horsepower, or run 12lbs w/o nitrous and make about the same. A good breathing engine may show less boost (as a number) but has the potential to make more power when given more CFM. It all depends on the construction of our engine, and the ability to handle the power safely.

Once again, congratulations to you and Team Hennessey,

Doug Levin

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SupraKing,

For your info, you can check with all the other SOuth Florida VCA members that were at the king of the DYno event with those RWHP number WITHOUT JUICE. You'd better get out your wallet and buy that real estate in South Florida... Can I make a commision?

Word has it , at the next VOI, there is supposed to be on BAD A$$ Twin Turbo car that is going to be there. I'm not going to tell you who's it is, but the initials are DLM. If your ever in the South FLorida neighborhood, go buy Doug Levins Shop and see his ASSEMBLY LINE of viper motors being built.

Thanks!
Gerald

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah you said it Gerald. Doug is making those numbers on his cars. Supradupraman...why do you make useless comments like that when you have never drove or seen Doug's Work? I'm so glad I'm out of the import scene. Nothing but smack talking bragging people.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I think anyone that is going to make predictions on the outcome of this race is just speculating. At these power levels, there is a lot more to worry about than just RWHP.... like gearing, not breaking, etc. Let's just see how things go - but I think anyone who discounts SW's chances is being too presumptuous.

Also, Doug is the only one who really knows his cars - so let's not bench race about cars we don't even own. As far as I know, Doug uses NOS on some of his cars, but not all - and I have no reason to doubt he was able to put down almost 1000RWHP without juice.

If a 3L I-6 motor can make ~900RWHP without NOS, why is it so hard to think a 8L V10 could make more?

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've read both forums, and I have to say that there are just too many people quoting specs at each other under the assumption that horsepower or a 1/4 mile time will determine the winner. Really what this is a contest of is how good your mods are. It seems to me that both of these cars are so heavily modified (as much as I respect Hennessy) that they really don't reflect the vast majority of their respective brand owners. I think a much more interesting race would be running two largely stock vehicles with common mods - say chip, air, and exhaust. This would be a better comparison of the actual platforms. Or, run two cars with approximately the same value - say a $50K GTS vs. a more heavily modified Supra. In any case, I really, really hope that they do run the race, and for the record, I'd bet my truck on the Viper - John will do whatever it takes to win, and he has the budget to make it happen.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the dyno day when Doug's car put down 933 rwhp..... and was pretty sure doug WAS running the nitrous for those pulls....

Brooks

Steve Theodore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the race actually goes down, and I think it will be a lot closer than many of you Viper guys expect. Just as you respect Hennessey's abilities as a tuner, I respect Sound Performance (who built and tune Marko's Supra). I do agree that whoever doesn't break will probably win because both cars will be tuned to the ragged edge for this confrontation.

Massive kudos to both cars and drivers, though. This is a very exciting challenge!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery