Hertz door speaker system

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Sight and Sound in William's Lake research better speakers for my 01 GTS. They came up with Hertz HSK 165 which is a system that includes the tweeters, speakers and a crossover. I epxoied and screwed the crossovers to the inside of the door panels and modified the stock tweeter mounting and some JB Weld to instal the tweeters. Since the speakers wire to the crossover I used the tweeter harness for the input, making sure the resistor was cut out of the harness. The tweeters and speakers wire into the C. box so that wiring is seperate. Took me about 6 hours to finish.

The improvement in sound quality and volume is fantastic. And the speaker system was about the same price as a set of quality speakers without the crossover.

You must be registered for see images

Shot with DiMAGE Z3 at 2007-08-14

[img=http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3050/bluegts106dp0.jpg]
Shot with DiMAGE Z3 at 2007-08-14

Ted

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. Questions...

2. Why did the door panel need modding to mount the tweeter? Is there no system with direct fit replacement?

1. Why choose the tweeter wire as opposed to the woofer wire?

BTW, my factory manual '01 GTS does not show the resistor you refer to on the tweeter.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. I chose the tweeter supply cinnector because it was closer and the connector is in the middle of the door, the speaker connector is inside the speaker hole at the front of the door.

2. I bought the best/reasonably priced speakers for sound quality instead of buying bolt-ins (priority). The Hertz tweeters don't have a hole for the screw mount like the factory ones and the Hertz mount would have put the tweeters too far into the door panel for my liking.

The tweeter harness has a resistor in the wires 3" from the tweeter to cut out lower frequencies that the tweeter can't respond to. I was expecting the frequency for the tweeter and s. woofer to be in the amp, but the door wiring has only one supply to both speakers, that's why the crossover was required and installed.

Ted

Zzapper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Hertz door speakers and a 10" hertz sub with an alpine deck and amp, in my option it sounds very good:D

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hertz speakers are an Italian company. What's weird is that they're actaully made in Italy, not China like most other audio equipment - and toys.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed a set of 6.5" Hertz midrange subs in the back of my GTS and the sound is awesome. Sounds as good as my old GTS with Polk speakers.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rear speakers are hidden behind the grilles that are attached to the factory carpet cover so there's nothing to see there.

The front tweeters look factory, even though they are actually bigger than the factory ones. The door speakers were 6.5" so the grilles don't fit into the holes, they flush mount on the door panels.

You must be registered for see images

Shot with DiMAGE Z3 at 2007-08-19

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte