High Miles Viper Question

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious what type of work needs to be done on a viper with 50k+ miles? When I get mine it will be a daily driver type car for me. So I'm wondering how much $$ I will need to put into one to replace stuff that wears out etc. Right now I think I'll be getting a G1 RT/10

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That depends on how its been treated those 50k miles. I bought mine with 51,300 on it and avg. 9k/year. Previous owner had just put brakes on it (still have them on the car) and replaced the clutch. I'm on my 2nd set of rear tires (3rd if the count the tires that were on it when I bought it). Replaced front tires due to age last year. Replaced a leaky oil cooler line a while ago. Besides that, my car has been rock solid <knock on wood>. I change all fluids once a year, oil change every 3k miles and don't track it. Be sure to find one that has had the head gaskets upgraded to the MLS style! Daily driving a Gen 1....you have my condolences :D

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have over 50k miles. HARD miles. Lots of track time and I am not easy on her when she’s off the track. The car has held up pretty well throughout the years considering. I did have the rear end go out (Which surprisingly wasn't that expensive because I went used.) Headgaskets (bound to happen with GEN Is) and replaced the Tranny because it wouldn't stay in reverse. That's the big stuff I have had a few nick knacks go bad as well. Really the Headgaskets cost the most around 2k parts and labor, the rear end cost me $600 and after I sold my old Tranny the used tranny only cost me $500.

Really over 4 years and 27k miles I have spent around $1,000 a year (average) on repairs. Not that bad really. I hope I can keep it that way for the next 4 Years. KNOCK ON WOOD

If you can do the work yourself and don’t mind used parts you can save a good bit. Also call me crazy but I think driving the car helps. Drive it for a good 15-20 min at least once a month even in cold weather. Also not driving it like a crazed maniac probably helps too. (But I wouldn't know much about that) :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most replacements on my 93K mile '94 have been self-inflicted.

Tires - besides the "spirited" use, the treadwear ratings are lower (i.e. tire is stickier) than typical tires, so they will never last that long.

Transmission - previous owner drag raced and I autocross, so yanking into second gear eventually broke off all the synchro teeth from second gear. But the T56 is close enough to that in the Corvette and some other GM cars, so parts are available for not expensive prices or used.

If you enjoy daily (I'm campaigning for this description instead of the more degrading "daily driver") then you will want to look at the side curtains, top, rear glass and gasket, etc to prevent leaks.

The non-ABS brakes (1992-2000) are so front-biased that you will eventually flat spot a front tire. The Gen 1 cars were a little worse because the power brake booster made the pedal feel a little more "wooden." There are lower and higher cost ways to improve the rear brakes.

While the above comment is a little self-serving (http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/620537-40mm-rear-brake-calipers-special-2.html ) it is a good example of the largest cost - upgrades! Trying to resist seems futile and is probably the largest wallet drain of all.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id buy mine in a heartbeat and its got 55k on it.

it all depends on how its treated and taken care of. and even then, they're pretty durable cars.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's two aspects to your question, (1) the immediate maintenance, and (2) the eventual maintenance. Depending on the reliability of the seller and the maintenance taken, hopefully it won't need anything, but if you don't know, you're going to probably want to change all the fluids, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filters (or clean, depending on type), etc. and at least inspect all the wear items (brakes, tires, etc.). Eventual maintenance is generally like any other car, except that there is more fluid for things like oil so that costs a bit more (plus you may use better oil than your other vehicles, so even further costs), more spark plugs than a regular car, etc., plus tires are way more expensive than regular cars. Finally, anything that breaks that is not a maintenance item will likely be a lot more expensive than a regular car (e.g., transmission, window regulator, etc.).

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my '99 exactly 2 years ago this week with 63,000 miles on it. Now it has 73,000 and all I've done is replaced the brakes, fluids, and filters.
Where I'm starting to notice issues is not with the mechanical side, rather with the "wear" aspect with the higher miles. In the interior, I'm seeing where the overhead storage "nets" are starting to sag a little. I've noticed where I need to pick my feet up a little better getting in the car from the marks on the sill and the door carpet. The Connolly leather steering wheel is starting to discolor a little. I've traced the car's history back to almost new, so I know it's been stored indoors for just about it's whole 10 years (Feb '99 build date) and I believe that has a lot to do with the overall nice condition of the interior. The dash and carpet, as well as the seats still look and smell new. And the paint is in great condition.
To answer your original question, I've been around Vipers for over 13 years and have never seen or heard of any parts just wearing out from high miles. Remember, what we consider high miles on our cars would be incredibly low miles on any other car. Things on ANY car just don't "wear out" at 75K or 100K miles anymore.

Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have 70K on our 04 SRT-10 Mamba and besides the normal stuff it's rollen just fine.

Reaction score
I have 200k on mine and it's gone through a ton of phases, as someone put it mostly self inflicted. The big issue as everyone mentioned is how it was treated by the previous owner. I've noticed that over time the dye on the leather has faded or completely wiped off on some parts, specially the "blue" steering wheel and gear shifter.

As with all other parts it's really about how they were treated. On older models make sure the welding recalls were done. I had 2 cracks in my frame near the back wheels that were fixed under the factory recall. Also I've broken the engine mounts 3 times, 2 of them from self inflicted torque issues, but the first one was mostly just from daily driving and using the car on the track only for brief periods. Also it doesn't seem hard to bend the wheels, so I'd have them checked at a tire store to make sure they are balanced.

Not sure it this helps or not but I think you'll enjoy the car almost no matter what condition it's in ... haha. I know I have mine :cool:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
92 to 02 is a monster mitzubishi,03 to present is a mercedes,pick from there.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a Eclipse as a DD, worked for Mitsubishi for about 7 years and had my Viper for 3.5 years. Besides the 3000GT mirrors, what makes a Viper a monster Mitsubishi?

I will say my car has been called a Mitsubishi once before....but that was by a very intellectually challenged ******* girl (and to further add insult to injury, she was nowhere near hot):lmao:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a Eclipse as a DD, worked for Mitsubishi for about 7 years and had my Viper for 3.5 years. Besides the 3000GT mirrors, what makes a Viper a monster Mitsubishi?

I will say my car has been called a Mitsubishi once before....but that was by a very intellectually challenged ******* girl (and to further add insult to injury, she was nowhere near hot):lmao:

it is not a cutdown,its just a fact of thats who dodge was in bed with in those times,its got mitz in it,its not ur fault,its not even a bad thing,its just a fact.:)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

please elaborate...

what part of the gen 1/2 was shared or designed by mitz?

what part of the gen 3 was shared or designed by mercedes?

to the op, there is nothing special or different about maintaining a viper over any other car. Most of us simply keep up with the recommended maintenance rather then neglecting our cars like most normal people.:)