High Octane Fuels (101, 105+) in a Viper?!?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this has been fun. Thanks to those of you who actually had some first hand knowledge on this issue. This forum sure didn't turn out to be what I expected. I thought it would be a place for friendly and fun conversation between owners. I see now that this is not the case. Everyone is out to disprove what others say. Like it's a competition. I've been involved with car clubs for nearly 10 years and I've never seen a group that gets such satisfaction out of mistreating potential friends/members. I must say, so far the VCA is a disappointment.

Geez man, calm down! We were just ribbing you a little bit! What, are you huffing jet fuel or something?

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this has been fun. Thanks to those of you who actually had some first hand knowledge on this issue. This forum sure didn't turn out to be what I expected. I thought it would be a place for friendly and fun conversation between owners. I see now that this is not the case. Everyone is out to disprove what others say. Like it's a competition. I've been involved with car clubs for nearly 10 years and I've never seen a group that gets such satisfaction out of mistreating potential friends/members. I must say, so far the VCA is a disappointment.

Why don't you stay a while...after you grow a set.

its all in fun and you need to realize your thread is "out there"

50HP? :eek: This is not a ricer forum. :rolleyes:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that you mention the fuel contained alcohol the comments change. At WOT, if your car is not setup to adjust the a/f ratio due to the alcohol in the fuel, you will run leaner. If the calibration is such that it runs richer than max power, and the added leanness doesn't swing it over to the too lean side, you could add power.

I am not a fuels expert by any means but I do not think the amount of oxygenation in ethanol is terribly significant. Nitro methane, yes, but that is a whole other world.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have some detonation problems on hard acceleration, that no mechanic can pinpoint, higher than 91 octane definitely improves my performance. I understand most stock Vipers would not notice any improvement with higher octane. I often mix in some racing gas just to bring up the octane a point or so. No more pinging.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4