High-Octane --> Marketing Hype?

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So today this guy tells me that there is no difference between low and high-octane gas. I give him my take on the differences and he states that it’s all just marketing hype. Says there might be some differences with old engines, but not with newer ones. He says that his neighbor who used to run a refinery swears that this is the case.

Anyone out there have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought all the grades of gas were basically the same as far as clogging up fuel injectors (detergents), how clean it burns etc. except for the octane rating there is no difference?? That maybe what he meant. The higher the engine compression the higher the octane that is required. Most cars have an antiknock sensor (not Vipers though) so even if you use the 87 instead of 91+ the car will run fine due to timing retard with no perceived difference to most drivers. Which is also what he may have been thinking? So yes, the masses that think they are getting something "special" by using higher octane and paying extra $$ are probably getting the shaft. However our Vipers do require the higher octane due to the 9.6:1 compression and no antiknock sensor. Just my uneducated opinion though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery