High temp reading

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too good at the search feature so thought I'd just ask. Took my 98 GTS out for the first time in awhile and after driving for about 15 mins I noticed the temp light was on and then saw my temp gauge at 250 while I was sitting at a light. I got on the highway at that point and as I got to speed the temp finally dropped to around 190. But everytime I came to a stop it would rapidly shoot back up to 250 and the light would come on. Any suggestions as to what my issue could be? Thanks for the help.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds similar the problem I had when my water pump failed. Not sure if this is the issue for you. Does your fan turn on at all?

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't really tell if the fan comes on or not...if I had to guess based on the drive I'm not sure it did. When I got home I let it idle for a bit so I could check for any leaks and I don't recall hearing the fan.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search feature: Specific words combined yield the best results. Try fan, heat, cooling, temp.

As for the problem, start it and let it idle for a lil bit. Open the hood and get out of the car :omg: OMG!!! See if the fan is kicking on. Start with a coolant flush if the fan comes on. Often after storing for a while the temp changes can increase the possibility of air in the line.

After that I would check the larger causes like water pump.

:usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first check the coolant level then make sure there is no air in the lines.

then learn to use the search feature

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump to me, if it goes up this high than the water is not flowing at all, with air it is less worse I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32