Hole in soft top 96 RT 10

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just put my soft top on for the first time since March and noticed 2 very small holes in it that do go all the way through the canvas I must have folded it wrong and the catches must have just pushed through the canvas over time. Is there any way to repair this easily? Do I need a whole new top, Can you get the canvas seperately or can you sort of patch it where it looks decent. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering this too. I have a couple little BB sized holes in mine. Can you take it to an upholstery shop???

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen replacement canvas on ebay regularly. I would think an upholstery shop could install them prety easily. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Viper-92-02-convertible-top-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitemZ7962020698

Not sure if they are any good or not. I would bet someone on here has tried one.

I know this will sound cheesy, but in the past I have "fixed" holes in convertible tops with black silicone rubber. I just put a piece of masking tape over the hole on the outside and smeared the silicone on the inside to make a patch. It acutally looks decent because the tape will leave a texture on the silicone to keep it from looking shiny.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try my solution. I went to Wall Mart and bought iron on patches. Very useful for preventing holes in common wear areas as well. Put them on the inside. If needed add a second layer on the outside.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try my solution. I went to Wall Mart and bought iron on patches. Very useful for preventing holes in common wear areas as well. Put them on the inside. If needed add a second layer on the outside.

Exactly what I did a few years ago when one of the latch covers came off. I put one on the other side as well--just like above. Works slick...cost basically nothing.

Steve

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never used my soft top until this summer. And to my surprise the guy who I bought the car from did exactly that. He folded the top incorrectly and put 2 holes through where the latches are. I decided on a new top. A friend of a friend does auto interiors and vinyl tops. There is a template for the soft top that is ordered from dodge that these guys send to the mill to be used to create a new one. All the welds underneath that hold the support bars are there as well as drip rails around the window. It's 150% better than the factory one. I had mine done in a high end fabric, charcoal color on a Graphite 02 for around $750. The stock black would be around $675. Anyone interested I can get you his name and number. Some of you guys might be able to strip the old one off and re-install the new on yourself. It didn't look too hard, then the price would be cheaper.

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my top.
8086roof.jpg

8086car.jpg

OP
OP
I

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I will head to wal-mart after work and see aboutsome iron on patches, and let you know how they work

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I am reviving an old thread but had a question for those of you who have tried the iron on patches. How have they held up? Kept the rain out when getting caught in a storm? I have got a couple BB sized holes in my soft top and need a simple repair. Thinking about this method. Especially since one of the holes is literally over my head so every time it rains I get water dripping on my head or if I put my head back it goes onto my leg right onto my cell phone. Thanks.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine a while ago. I had no real hole only very thin spots I could have poked my finger through.
I got the large black twil jean patches at Jo Ann fabrics for around $7
They are 6 inch squares the look factory and don't show at all on the out side.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine a while ago. I had no real hole only very thin spots I could have poked my finger through.
I got the large black twil jean patches at Jo Ann fabrics for around $7
They are 6 inch squares the look factory and don't show at all on the out side.

Did you both sides of the top or just the inside??

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I already have some patches on the top. Put them on last night. I was just unsure if both sides should be done. Thanks again! :)

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed some shinny spots on my patches so they are getting rubbed by something while in the trunk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery