Home-Made 2" Seat Lowering Installed (pics)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Home-Made 2\" Seat Lowering Installed (pics)

Thanks to all that have posted in the past their opinions on lowering your seat. I had been debating this for some time as I'm just under 6'2" and my big noggin always seemed to ride just a bit too high, and my vision was partially blocked by the rear view mirror. My hand was forced a bit as I just ordered Jeff Lemke's new Trunktop - which strongly suggests a lowering kit for all over 6'1".

After taking a seat out to look at the mounts and to try to get a better feeling if I wanted the 1" or 2" kit - I realized that it would be fairly easy to fabricate my own brackets to see if I liked it and if not satisfied with the way that my brackets turned out - I could always spend the $189 for the 2" fixed mount or $259 for the 1" adjustable mount.

The only materials I needed was some 2" steel square tubing, some 1/8" steel stock, some various length 5/16" bolts, a bunch of washers, lock washers, and nuts. Took about 6 hours total to fabricate and install. Total cost about $25 including parts, and the 5/16" drill bit I burned up.

RESULTS: Wow - what a difference! I can actually see out past the right front fender. My big noggin no longer rides above the windshield, and I actually think the ride position feels more comfortable. A pretty fun project that allowed me to avoid some Viper Tax ($$$). Heres a few pics:

FRONT BRACKET
5122Front_Seat_Bracket-med.JPG

REAR BRACKET
5122Rear_Seat_Bracket-med.JPG

5122Seat_Brackets-med.JPG

5122Lowered_Seat-med.JPG

5122Lowered_Seat_2-med.JPG

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Re: Home-Made 2

The way the stock seat brackets are - the front of the seat is raised about 4" and the rear is up about 2" from the floor level. My front bracket is made from 2" square steel tubing - so the front drops a little less than 2". The rear bracket is just some 1/8" steel about 1" wide and 4" long so it drops the rear about 2". I used a bunch of washers to make sure the seat was supported correctly and it sits ROCK SOLID. I wish it was easier to take a pic of the brackets installed.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

AB - thanks, but this doesn't quite qualify as there was no welding involved. I did cut the 2" steel tube with a cut-off saw that did send the sparks flying though. Also got to use my dremel tool to cut to size some of the 5/16" bolts - and any project that allows you to use the dremel tool is a good project.

Only down side I can see with the lowered seat is getting my fat **** in and out. Sure am glad I upgraded my exhaust recently as it really helps having cooler side sills.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

no matter...it's a start...next project fr you is do a forced induction system from scratch! LOL!

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got the 1" seat lowering kit, and with my helmet on it's still not enough. So I was also thinking about making a 2" kit myself, you have made a great example on how to. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I've got the 1" seat lowering kit, and with my helmet on it's still not enough. So I was also thinking about making a 2" kit myself, you have made a great example on how to. Thanks.

I had my softtop on as we were expecting some rain and I was in need of a "Viper Fix" and I don't beleive that you would have any problem with helmet clearance with a 2" kit. Must have at least 4" of clearance above my head.

It is a pretty easy process to build and even easier to remove the seats to see what you going to tackle. Just need to remove the lower seat bolster by unsnapping (pull down/push back) the wire retainer underneath the seat at the front. Then it's 4 - 1/2" bolts and the seat is out.

Parts list for ONE SEAT. Two 3" sections of 2" Steel Square Tube, Two 1"x4"x1/8" steel stock, Four 2"x5/16" hex head bolts, Four nuts, Lock washers (or locktite), and about 30 5/16" washers (about nickel size). Also a 5/16 drill bit. If there's interest - I could draw up a sketch of how it looks.

Only tip I just thought of was how I was able to "relatch" the metal retainer for the bottom cushion - as with the seat lowered there is limited room. I used about a 1 foot section of rope threaded through the seat out the bottom to pull the wire latch over the seat frame (hard to explain - but you should get the idea if you tackle it.)

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Just a quick note: this was done on a Gen 1. The Gen 2 seat brackets look like they may be just a little different - possibly requiring a longer front bracket.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Folks, an alternate, more expensive idea is to purchase an aluminum racing seat. Simply attach the seat to the OEM glides by drilling through the seat bottom. There is far less padding (hardly any), so your head is at least 2" lower. Still comfy since the seats are well-formed to your butt. And fore-aft adjustable, so others can still drive the car.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Home-Made 2" Seat Lowering Installed (pics)

I just followed this model today and lowered my driver's seat. Fairly easy... if you gather all the pieces and don't make 500 trips to Home Depot.

Turned out great and for less than $25 bucks well worth the afternoon of cutting, grinding, and assembly.

Thank you Rocket62 for sharing.. this should be in the Illustrated Upgrades section!

V

Venomiss

Re: Home-Made 2" Seat Lowering Installed (pics)

Thank you for sharing a good piece with pictures.
Be sure and PM Lee with this thread if you want this in the Illustrated section.
It would make a great addition.:)

EndlessGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Im bringing this back from the dead, but does anyone know where we can find the pics of this setup he did since they are showing up as X's for me? Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I suspect the supporting photo service is long gone. It has happened to many, many old photos of various forums.

Viper Swag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Home-Made 2\" Seat Lowering Installed (pics)

Thanks to all that have posted in the past their opinions on lowering your seat. I had been debating this for some time as I'm just under 6'2" and my big noggin always seemed to ride just a bit too high, and my vision was partially blocked by the rear view mirror. My hand was forced a bit as I just ordered Jeff Lemke's new Trunktop - which strongly suggests a lowering kit for all over 6'1".

After taking a seat out to look at the mounts and to try to get a better feeling if I wanted the 1" or 2" kit - I realized that it would be fairly easy to fabricate my own brackets to see if I liked it and if not satisfied with the way that my brackets turned out - I could always spend the $189 for the 2" fixed mount or $259 for the 1" adjustable mount.

The only materials I needed was some 2" steel square tubing, some 1/8" steel stock, some various length 5/16" bolts, a bunch of washers, lock washers, and nuts. Took about 6 hours total to fabricate and install. Total cost about $25 including parts, and the 5/16" drill bit I burned up.

RESULTS: Wow - what a difference! I can actually see out past the right front fender. My big noggin no longer rides above the windshield, and I actually think the ride position feels more comfortable. A pretty fun project that allowed me to avoid some Viper Tax ($$$). Heres a few pics:

FRONT BRACKET
5122Front_Seat_Bracket-med.JPG

REAR BRACKET
5122Rear_Seat_Bracket-med.JPG

5122Seat_Brackets-med.JPG

5122Lowered_Seat-med.JPG

5122Lowered_Seat_2-med.JPG
Hey Rocket 62 thanks for sharing. Do you still have the pics? The original ones can't be seen anymore

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave