Hood Alignment

kevin922

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed on my newly purchased 06 SRT/10 that the drivers side of the hood is lower than the left fender. I took it to a body shop, who seems to think the hood has been off before and repainted because there is some paint missing from the inside lip of the hood.

I got to looking at it, and it appears that due to the mis-alignment the inside lip has rubbed against the inside lip of the fender causing the paint to get rubbed off.

It appears the rubber "spacers" along the drivers side engine compartment may be compressed. Is this the only thing that really aligns the hood? Is this a common problem? Should I just replace the rubber spacers?

See pics. I know the picture of the spacers is all out of focus, was having problems with my camera. Hopefully you can get enough to tell whats going on.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you seem to have old rubber bumpers on the fender, and a new bumper on the hood [not on 06 models]. you should only have one style, not 1 of each

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 is the same way. I cut a piece of fuel line hose and pushed it into the rubber bumpers. That pushed the hood enough that it looks better, not perfect but better.

OP
OP
K

kevin922

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you seem to have old rubber bumpers on the fender, and a new bumper on the hood [not on 06 models]. you should only have one style, not 1 of each

Interesting. So the 06 didn't come with the bumper that is on the hood? Does that mean this might not be an 06 hood?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. So the 06 didn't come with the bumper that is on the hood? Does that mean this might not be an 06 hood?

03-06 hoods are the same so it does not matter. The question everyone should be asking is how is the alignment with the front bumper? If it is okay look at the bolts that hold the fender to the upper fender support (bolts at top of fender)you should have a spacer/rubber washer between the fender and the body (fender support)are they missing?

Garrett

OP
OP
K

kevin922

Viper Owner
Reaction score
03-06 hoods are the same so it does not matter. The question everyone should be asking is how is the alignment with the front bumper? If it is okay look at the bolts that hold the fender to the upper fender support (bolts at top of fender)you should have a spacer/rubber washer between the fender and the body (fender support)are they missing?

Garrett

Are you talking about the bolts that run the length of the hood on the fender? they all have spacers on both sides and the hood / bumper alignment is fine.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed on my newly purchased 06 SRT/10 that the drivers side of the hood is lower than the left fender. I took it to a body shop, who seems to think the hood has been off before and repainted because there is some paint missing from the inside lip of the hood.

I got to looking at it, and it appears that due to the mis-alignment the inside lip has rubbed against the inside lip of the fender causing the paint to get rubbed off.

It appears the rubber "spacers" along the drivers side engine compartment may be compressed. Is this the only thing that really aligns the hood? Is this a common problem? Should I just replace the rubber spacers?

See pics. I know the picture of the spacers is all out of focus, was having problems with my camera. Hopefully you can get enough to tell whats going on.

My Buddies '06 FE coupe is doing the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21