Hood scoop big enough?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it may be in a better position than a Gen2 NACA duct, the hood scoop on the Gen3 doesn't seem overly large. Has anyone done any calculations regarding the CFM requirements of the Gen3 engine vs the area of the hole in the hood?

A well regarded flowbench operator in the area mentioned to me just last week that if things are restricted at or near the entrance, then anything happening further into the engine's intake plumbing is automatically starting from no more than, and often less than, the less than 100% that the restriction at the entrance is allowing.

Testing I did on a Gen2 with the airbox modified to only allow air from the hood's opening showed me that there just wasn't enough air getting to the engine via the NACA duct alone.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSRT is correct. Youn can get some more air thru the duct by removing the black plastic baffle that is supposed to keep the rain out. I have over 12000 miles without the baffle and have been thru some driving rain stormes at 80 mph with no bad affects. It is held in place by three phillips screws from inside the air duct. Just lean backwards into the engine bay and you will see them.

Hope this helps,

Robbie

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took mine out a while back. A word of advice, if you take yours out, put a cloth or chamois in the opening prior to washing the car since you can spray water directly into the filter area if you are not careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine