How can you compare:

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers vs Vettes vs Porsches vs Ferrari?

I mean, I would compare STOCK only vs STOCK. Not some modded car vs another modded car. Heck, you could take an 89 honda Accord and mod it to outdo a Viper...or Porsche, or Vette for that matter.

The reason I posted this is the 'Porsche vs Viper' thread above. Who cares after you add mods? Not that modding is bad or anything, but you cant say "Kia is faster than Vettes!" , after you throw 20k worth of stuff into your Kia.

So, how come, when talking 'brand vs brand', people tend to throw stock figures out the door?

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seifer:
Vipers vs Vettes vs Porsches vs Ferrari?

I mean, I would compare STOCK only vs STOCK. Not some modded car vs another modded car...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right. I'm one of the ones throwing out "Mod vs. Mod" and now that you put it that way, I feel silly...

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Additionally, if you insist on a STOCK VS. STOCK comparison then you must consider the $ cost of stock. If adding $'s in mods to stock is not a fair comparison then comparing a STOCK $52K Z06 to a $72K Viper to a $150K 996TT to a $200K GT2 to a $280K Lambo to a $485K S7 to a $500K F40 TO A $1.2M F1 is not a fair comparison either. The only fair comparison would be a performance to $ ratio.

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I'd imagine a guy could take 800$ and buy a junked pinto, put about $10k into the mechanics, and make a beast as fast or faster than a Viper (they do it everyday on a dragstrip).

I guess now Vette owners can say 'your viper costs more...no fair!' They're right...till you get a used one (like $30k for a used 93-94 rt10) that will roast their newer model Vette/Porsche
supergrin.gif

But when you think about it THAT way (price wise), the Viper isnt even fair to the more expensive cars. Compare it with, 0-60 and handling specs, to cars from Porsche...Ferrari...BMW...Jaguar...(compare Vipers to more expensive exotics here: ultimatecarpage.com )

Stock, theres no car that can beat it, dollar for dollar. Of course, I dont have to tell you guys that
smile.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seifer:

Stock, theres no car that can beat it, dollar for dollar. Of course, I dont have to tell you guys that
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about that one in my book Seifer, wouldn't you agree an 02 Z06 is a better bang for the buck compared to a Viper.

I'm thinking 90% of the performance for maybe 65% of the price (too late for any concrete math!)

Of course, the buck part was not part of my equation.....
smile.gif
Gts in Blue, thanks for shopping......

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
Not sure about that one in my book Seifer, wouldn't you agree an 02 Z06 is a better bang for the buck compared to a Viper.

I'm thinking 90% of the performance for maybe 65% of the price (too late for any concrete math!)

Of course, the buck part was not part of my equation.....
smile.gif
Gts in Blue, thanks for shopping......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah well the ZO6 only has about %10 of the pimpability that a viper does. The **** factor is important, you know.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
wouldn't you agree an 02 Z06 is a better bang for the buck compared to a Viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't. The Viper consistantly beats the Z06 by .4 to .5 in the quarter. That's an outright asswhoopin'.

The Vette might be closer on a road course but it still comes in behind the Viper.

The Vette does the driving for you. The Viper forces you to drive it.

The Viper is in a class all it's own. It's a throwback that whoops everybody's *** the good old fashion way. No frills, all thrills. Compare everything else but don't compare anything to a Viper.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I wouldn't. The Viper consistantly beats the Z06 by .4 to .5 in the quarter. That's an outright asswhoopin'.

The Vette might be closer on a road course but it still comes in behind the Viper.

The Vette does the driving for you. The Viper forces you to drive it.

The Viper is in a class all it's own. It's a throwback that whoops everybody's *** the good old fashion way. No frills, all thrills. Compare everything else but don't compare anything to a Viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You did the math and you are correct.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the ZO6. The best bang for the buck in a new sports car is a regular new Corvette. You can buy a new one MSRP $43k. Regular folks don't know squat about normal Vette vs ZO6. The girls you try to pick up or impress with your Vette will never know the difference. For street driving the regular Vette has loads of power. At the drags what do you get for the extra $10k? About half a second?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
Forget the ZO6. The best bang for the buck in a new sports car is a regular new Corvette. You can buy a new one MSRP $43k. Regular folks don't know squat about normal Vette vs ZO6. The girls you try to pick up or impress with your Vette will never know the difference. For street driving the regular Vette has loads of power. At the drags what do you get for the extra $10k? About half a second?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Had a regular vette. Forget about it! Best is the VIPER for the $'s. Beats any other stock car you will ever meet on the road, exotic looks, limited number, unsurpassed world racing hissssssstory....period!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. The Viper is the best choice when all the factors are considered. I'm just saying that the regular Vette should be in the comparison too. The ZO6 is at least $10k more. You could put a nice SC on a new regular Vette for less than the difference. The standard Vette is a real bargain for what you get. The ZO6...I don't know if it's worth that much more.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
I agree with you. The Viper is the best choice when all the factors are considered. I'm just saying that the regular Vette should be in the comparison too. The ZO6 is at least $10k more. You could put a nice SC on a new regular Vette for less than the difference. The standard Vette is a real bargain for what you get. The ZO6...I don't know if it's worth that much more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I too agree with your comparison of the regular vette upgraded with a SC as a better performance value versus a Z06.

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, but then again, a Vette is a Vette like you said - and everyone and their grandpa has one. Thats what I dont like about them. You can park beside one at the grocery store and you wont even look at it. Park beside a Viper at a store...and you may end up not getting groceries
smile.gif

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0211_vv/index.html

Theres an article, btw, on the new rt10 vs new z06. Vette is alot cheaper, but cant beat it on any tests. Yeah, its kinda close on a few tests...but the fact remains it still lost on the performance charts (won as far as comfort and interior goes, though).

You must be registered for see images

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken