how cold out is it before you garage?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As every one said, just be careful with the tires! I try to get my cars out atleat every 2 weeks even in the winter just to keep the fluids moving.

I try to get a drive once a month in the winter, not to get the fluids moving...but because it the greatest therapy I know. City and State are very conservative about using salt around here, more sand than anything else. But I live about 3 miles from the Interstate, during the day the traffic will wash and blow the roads clean. In the winter on a cold day below 32 degrees, when there in no water on the roads...I will take it for about a 30 minute ride. I wait until after 8pm when the traffic is light, otherwise you get blasted with sand off the car in front of you.

My car is basically stock so no worries about wear n' tear on a cold day. The Viper powertrain is so stout, they don't break in the cold. Just let it warm up in the driveway first. As stated, Tires break loose on cold pavement...Point it straight before you open it up.

Two different schools here: It's my car, it's payed for, it's worth more to me that the market will give me for it. I've owned it for over 5 years now, so the new ownership experience has worn off.

It brings me joy (the most elusive emotion known to man), why deny myself that simple pleasure? :confused:

Life is to short...

But that's just me.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to get a drive once a month in the winter, not to get the fluids moving...but because it the greatest therapy I know. City and State are very conservative about using salt around here, more sand than anything else. But I live about 3 miles from the Interstate, during the day the traffic will wash and blow the roads clean. In the winter on a cold day below 32 degrees, when there in no water on the roads...I will take it for about a 30 minute ride. I wait until after 8pm when the traffic is light, otherwise you get blasted with sand off the car in front of you.

My car is basically stock so no worries about wear n' tear on a cold day. The Viper powertrain is so stout, they don't break in the cold. Just let it warm up in the driveway first. As stated, Tires break loose on cold pavement...Point it straight before you open it up.

Two different schools here: It's my car, it's payed for, it's worth more to me that the market will give me for it. I've owned it for over 5 years now, so the new ownership experience has worn off.

It brings me joy (the most elusive emotion known to man), why deny myself that simple pleasure? :confused:

Life is to short...

But that's just me.
Here, HERE!
Jeff Torrey for President!

Oh....hehe....he already is. :D

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here. Colorado winters can get pretty cold but are dry 95% of the time, so as long as the gravel from the last snow has been swept up, I drive the Viper every day. Multiple days around 0 degrees. No problems so far.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Soon as the roads get their first salting, I'm in till the Spring rains clean the roads.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the bodybolts that hold on the rear fascia are a rusted color on my RT/10. I am sure this is not from driving during snow season, but because of how many times it has been washed :). I have noticed rust spots on some bolts on my car, like when you open up the door and look down on the side sill, I have noticed some rust but not much. No rust on any other major parts though.

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here. Colorado winters can get pretty cold but are dry 95% of the time, so as long as the gravel from the last snow has been swept up, I drive the Viper every day. Multiple days around 0 degrees. No problems so far.

It gets pretty damn cold here in Bend, Oregon as well. I seem to have no problems as long as there is no ice or snow on the roads. Well, at least when I drive normal and not like a maniac.. Driving an SVS Stage 1 in the snow or ice is like driving a big sled. Can be fun as long as there are no curbs, cars, trees, anything in your way..

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drove mine today, 18 degrees out this morning and the car didn't wimper at all:) I will put it away when the roads are salted for the first time though.