How do I adjust the doors on my 97 GTS?

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My doors rub a bit on the bottom when closing. I've read that they tend to sag a bit with age. Is it an easy chore to adjust them up? I haven't looked yet, but is it as easy as loosening the hinge bolts and adjusting? Anything "odd" I should know about?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is that easy. Loosen hinge bolts and adjust. You will need to remove the body-colored cover over hinges. You might need to adjust the striker for the latch on the door jamb. As a matter of fact, try adjusting the striker only first. It might get you where you want to go, or will at least help you end up where you want when you loosen the hinges.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time consuming and frustrating.

Doable certainly, but don't be in a rush or you're sure to damage the paint or worse.

Most frustating part is that 6 months later you'll be doing it again!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you try this DO get some "MUSCLE" with a LONG attention span...OR, buy a door cradle (padded) that works with a floor jack...can get them thru Northern Tool, and I believe thru Harbor Freight.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some instructions I saved from a previous post:

Tim,
I had a similar problem with the driver's-side door on my 99 GTS. Here's how I corrected the problem:
1. Open hood
2. Open door and support with a floor jack (a padded 2x4 placed between the jack and the flat part of the door-bottom worked great)
3. Remove crescent-shaped body panel in front of door to expose door hinges (CAREFUL! There may be shims between the panel and the body that may fall out when you loosen the bolts, so be sure to note their locations)
4. Loosen the hinge bolts and move the rear of the door up slightly (a little movement goes a long way), tighten bolts just enough to check fit, and repeat adjustment as necessary.
CAUTION! Make sure that the window closes properly after adjusting the door. I found that raising the rear of the door caused the front of the window to seal incorrectly at the front; as it turned out, the maximum window height was not properly adjusted, and the window would push the door upright (part containing the door handle) slightly backward when fully raised.
5. Put it all back together (I found that, in order to match the curve of the crescent-shaped body panel to the door, I had to flex the panel slightly before tightening the bolts).
I suppose I could have had this all done under warranty, but where's the fun in that? (and it's a long drive) Good Luck!
Jeff

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this 2 weeks ago. I strongly suggest NOT using a jack. It does'nt work very well because you need you're helper to move the door a little as you adjust. My wife was able to hold the door up, she is small but works out. So they don't have to be that strong, but the key is to adjust the door "in" or near closing to the stricker. Loosen 2 of the 4 bolts alot and then only loosen 2 a little. This way the door won't drop and you will be quicker tightening the bolts. This will all make sense once you see the door hinge, good luck!

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read all the responses...I just got back into town from the time I first posted the question. Thank you to all that posted here.