How do you adjust an off-center steering wheel?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My steering wheel is turned slightly to the left of center when I am going straight ahead. The alignment of the car is fine and it tracks straight, but it is annoying to have the steering wheel off center when going straight.

Here's the good news - This problem is on my winter ****** - 1989 Buick Park Avenue. Although, I figured the procedure to correct this problem would be similar on the Buick and Viper. So how do you correct this annoying problem?

Thanks.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there's no easy way to somehow disconnect the steering rack and turn the steering wheel a few degrees to the right, then reconnect? Remember, it's a 1989 Buick - I need to keep my doe for the Viper.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there's no easy way to somehow disconnect the steering rack and turn the steering wheel a few degrees to the right, then reconnect? Remember, it's a 1989 Buick - I need to keep my doe for the Viper.

Nope,,, you're outta luck.... have to get alignment!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could loosen the tie rod ends and shorten the left side, lengthen the right side an equal amount. This assumes nothing's bent, loose, otherwise wrong. Mark the tie rods so you know where you started from, try something less than 1/8 turn.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unbolt the steering wheel nut under the center pad.... pull the steering wheel off and reinstall it a couple degrees to the right.

You may not be able to get exactly to dead center.... but you can get close.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on here! Most cars have one rod with adjustable ends that link the two wheels together. Then there is one rod that links the steering box arm to the rod that was just mentioned. the arm attached to the steering box has a left hand/right hand threaded nut in the middle of this bar. There are clamp bolts on each end of this nut. Loosen the clamp bolts and turn the nut 1/2 of a revolution (I would roll the top of the nut towards the front of the car). Tighten the clamp bolts and move the car back and forward to set the wheels straight. If you need too, move the a little more or if it went the wrong way go back the 1/2 turn plus another 1/2 turn. I think you get the picture.
This will not change the toe in or alignment of the car. It only affects the steering wheel position. This is easy to do.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Viper Dan, you are the man!

GraphiteGTS,

Need to keep the doe for the Viper - Viper mods that is... The car is paid in full, but too much power is never enough.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 89 Park Ave. does not have the rod you're talking about!!!! It has rack and pinion!!!!! Only has the two outer tie-rod ends that are adjustable. I don't know if you can pull the wheel and rotate couple degrees, I think they're timed, not sure. You could take a rat tail file and file off the "keyed" (on the wheel) spline and rotate the wheel a couple degrees.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakbit,

Your right. It is rack and pinion. So can I try what Tom suggested (below)? I really don't want to mess around pulling the steering wheel.

You could loosen the tie rod ends and shorten the left side, lengthen the right side an equal amount. This assumes nothing's bent, loose, otherwise wrong. Mark the tie rods so you know where you started from, try something less than 1/8 turn.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you could but it would be easier, IMHO, to pull the wheel and turn it. The other way you have to make sure the boots are loose on the "inner tie-rods" so they don't rip. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's going to be a power steering "dead spot" when everything is centered properly.
Make sure that the steering wheel is centered with the dead spot.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117 makes a good point... make sure the wheels are centered before you pull the wheel... otherwise you will have a worse situation!

The end of the steering column should be splined to match splines on the inner diameter of the steering wheel center hub.

You will possibly need a steering wheel puller.... but they are like $20 at any auto parts store.

Pulling the steering wheel shouldn't take more than 15 minutes...... unless you have a driver's side airbag...... Typically I find that alignment shops rarely get the steering wheel centered to my satisfaction... I have pulled the steering wheel and moved it on most all of my cars at least once or twice.

Good Luck.

Lance

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On every car that I have pulled a steering wheel from...the column shaft and wheel are "keyed" so that they only go on one way. Don't even aste your time pulling the wheel.

All you need to do (as posted above) is turn one side's tie rod adjusting sleeve one way, and make the appropriate move on the other side...making one side slightly shorter...the other slightly longer. You just have to make sure you move them both the same exact amount or the alignment will be off.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt is right.
Turning the tie rods to even out the steering wheel will get the wheel and the front tires lined up ok.
Just remember, the power steering dead spot has to be lined up too.
*The steering wheel has to be straight when you drive straight.
*The wheels have to be straight when you drive straight.
*The power steering dead spot has to be centered when you drive straight.

The cause of the steering wheel offset will dictate what you need to adjust in order to fix it properly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456