How do you get the headlights on a Canadian car to go off while driving????

RED 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought this 2001 rt and it was a canadian car and the headlight stay on all the time while driving it. Is there a switch or a fuse. I would like to be able to turn them on and off myself. thanks

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the cross member in front of the belts you will see a small black box called the daytime running light module. If you provide ground to grey wire with black tracer it will turn the daytime lights off as it thinks your parking brake is on.

I do believe if you unplug it the headlights will not work. I think in the USA they plug some sort of jumper into that plug. You will have to check with the local dealer. Or some of the US guys might be able to see what they have plugged into that wire

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wondered how that testing was done. I guess someone must have had a bunch of cars run their lights all the time and then they had a control group that didn't.

I wonder if the statistics would carry over to what would happen if everyone ran their lights all the time.
A police car with the flashing rooftop lights gets noticed but would he get noticed if everyone had police lights?

I'd set it back to the USA mode as soon as possible. You wouldn't want someone to mistake you for a Canadian right now.