How hot do the side-pipes get?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have a small scar on the back of my leg from our old side-pipe equiped vette (when I was younger). I'm guessing the RT's suffer the same problem? Are there any aftermarket heat shields or modifications to help cooling?

James

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They get very hot (enough to burn like you have already experienced)!!! Removing the mufflers or even replacing them with a cat-back system will significantly reduce the side sill heat. (I've done both).

There are some products that you can coat the sill with, but I'm not very familiar with them. I'm sure others can pick-up here...

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought so...
I'll just have to remember to step wide (and teach my fiancee that too hehe).

Thanks
James

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 68 Vette with 69 sidepipes on it. The side pipes on the viper are a little cooler than the 69 sidepipe Vettes Which I am guessing are cooler than the pre 69 sidepipe Vettes. The viper side sheilds have heat sheilds in them which help some.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I replace the stock exhaust, should I have the new pieces ceramic coated, or wrap them in thermal wrap? (or both..what I did to my headers)

James

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James,

I put a borla cat-back on and can hold my hand on the side sill even after 30 minutes of driving (did NOT add any additional heat shielding, etc.). This I could NEVER do with the factory exhaust.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
When I replace the stock exhaust, should I have the new pieces ceramic coated, or wrap them in thermal wrap? (or both..what I did to my headers)

James
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to the coating! Not sure about the wrap, never seen it done on a Viper. Also: Someone posted recently about spraying the inside of the sills with a black 2500* coating. This will cut back on some of the heat transmitted to the sill itself. High flow cats, moved as far forward a spossible, will also help reduce side sill heat.

Matt

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have tri-y headers, opened cats, and Borla cat backs, with all of the header and side sill pipe black Jet-hot coated. The side sill temperatures have been considerably reduced. The down side is that the tail pipe which is uncoated now get hotter and I found it necessary to place stainless heat shield around the differential and where the pipes exit the rear fascia.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of wraping the pipes just before the side pipe fronts, back behind the heat shield/sills. You couldn't see it unless the covers were removed (I'm guessing from what i've seen).

I'm sure I will figure something out.. just don't want as many scars as those old chrome sidepipes (didn't stay that way for long hehe..)

James