How long to do a headgasket on Viper Gen 2 GTS?

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what sort of time it takes to do the head gaskets on a Viper GTS gen 2 1997/8?

Is there a book time for the job? Is it a nightmare? Any bits to worry about as I am thinking of doing it myself. Also it does have a Roe supercharger on it.

I think is my head gasket gone as it is presurising the water system! Lots of air bubbles and pushing water out, I did a sniff test and seems like exhaust emissions in water!!

Cheers

Last edited:

CS14

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The work took me totally 22 hours including some cleaning, hood demont/mont, new thermostat, spark plug/wires. I cant see that the supercharger will add more than max an extra hour to an engine without.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks CS. I will probacly do my self as it looks to have good access. Did you need a ramp to access anything or can you do it all while sitting in a normal garage? Any special tools needed?
Cheers

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here was a build thread I did a few years ago with some pics/info on the heads. It's not a hard job once you get the hood out of the way. Heck you could probably leave the hood in place, but it would be a pain to work around. I would look at doing the timing chain cover at the same time since it's a weak point.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/658447-2.8L-Roe-GG-heads-cam-Build-thread