How many of you..... (Gen I vs Gen II RT/10 questions)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put 70k miles on a Gen I (1995), and since getting my Gen II a year ago, have put about 12k miles on it.

I don't use full throttle much, so the extra 50 hp is not readily apparent - I do notice it on the track, though. In fact, most of the engine & handling differences I notice on the track. The biggest is the suspension - the Gen 1 was arguably more fun as it was a lot less work to transition the car from side to side - the Gen II car requires much more care and conscious effort to me to transition. Personally, I prefer the "instant" throttle response of the Gen I, the softer/slower reaction of the Gen II (and the computer trying to protect us from ourselves), AND the 5 second delay on compression braking is a pain when you are used to the Gen I car.

However, after a number of cross country trips and daily use of the Gen 1 car, I can only say how much I approve of having real windows. :cool: If you get a Gen 1, figure into your cost an extra $1k for the Northwind lockable sliding Lexan windows - they are the best windows for the Gen I, and are pretty much required, in my opinion, for it to be a daily driver with any top on (from both a lock-ability viewpoint as well as rain, tollbooth, general freezing weather comfort, etc). Also be aware of the design issue with the thermostat housing on the Gen I car that causes eventual leaks and increasing use of thicker gaskets, etc. (Whoever thought of putting the thermostat housing inside the V like that ought to be, well, severely embarassed, if nothing else).

Like many have already said, a Gen 1 car is extremely satisfying. The suspension differences that make me like the Gen 1 car go-cart handling would also tend to make me stay away from a '96 (1.5 car) for that exact reason. Nothing wrong with the '96 at all - but if you want the Gen II suspension, might as well get the Gen II extra horsepower, windows, etc.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
You all bring up excellent points. It will be a while before I can do ANYTHING. I'm torn between getting a Viper Gen I fast just to have a Viper, which is what you all seem to recommend, or holding out and getting the Graphite Metallic 2002 RT-10 that would be my ultimate Viper. I would probably be able to get a gen I easily in a short period of time if I stay in school, stay with the folks, and just save like hell every penny I get. Right now my ONLY bill is my Mustang and that translates to about 400 a month. (350 for the car about 50 for insurance). If I can keep it like that as long as possible I could probably get a Gen I in a few years and it will be probably LESS than the Stang. Although paying two cars at once...... OR I can save up, live my life and then later when the Stang is payed off, I have my own place, and the price is about 30,000 for a 9 years old, or more, 2002 RT/10 then get that Viper. I don't know man. I am so torn. I've never seen a Gen I up close...hell I want an RT/10, but I've NEVER SEEN ONE! Up close I saw a GTS at a car dealer. Someone from VCA is meeting with me next sunday to show me his GTS and I'll talk to hima about all this stuff too, but the fact is I need to SEE and DRIVE a Gen I and Gen II before I can make a determination. What are your suggestions? You guys are as die hard Viper fans as I am and have gone through this before I'm sure. I know it is obviously ultimately my decision.

P.S. No I'm not selling the Mustang! ;) :usa: :headbang:

genelumpkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI, I have a 1992 no 193 and had a 1996 gts that I sold. I've said it before but will say it again the 96 bw looks better but I always drove the 92 bar none everytime. It's just louder and fun as heck. I even drive in the winter time with the top out. I would say if you like motocycles and 60s muscle cars the gen. 1 is the way to go. Everyone loves it that sees it out. It is hot with the heat coming thru the firewall but I think it brings you close to the 1960s cobra feel. Or what the guy probably felt like. It drives real nice nothing like a rough riding vett. If you like comfort though get the 2nd gen. It just ain't the same feeling though for me with power windows and air bags etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya