How many of you guys are planning on buying a 2003 RT/10?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will. Sure the Gen I/II is better looking, but the 03 is the best looking Chapter III, by a long shot.
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
I own a 99 C5 Convertible that I bought brand new and I must say "vetteman" you are wrong. That vet is well built but underpowered
by todays standards. The 350HP LS1 on coupes and converts has been the same since 97 (ok, 5HP difference). I don't like the ZO6 because its a hardtop. Dodges Gen III Viper is a super car (500HP) that looks great. I plan on putting a deposit on a 2003 Viper but I need to sell my 99 C5 first. Its a triple black 6spd
convertible with only 5600 miles on it, anyone interested?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the magazines and wasn't impressed,went to auto show and decided the 2003 will look just fine next to my 99r/t"TOOOFST" kinda like a 67'427,and C5.Former (94',95'nitrous)vette fan.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo hey there viper brothers,take it easy on these vette boys,understand their situation,U cut up a cow and get zillion burgers yet just a few filets.Burgers(vettes)are always there,if your lucky on sale 2 for 1.Enough said!

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, be nice to this guy - he's 16 (from another post) and needs some educatin'. Wouldn't be here unless his interests were peaked. Come on Vettemaan, you know you would really rather have a Viper.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vetteman, you post only what you read! Which only means that you have never been behind the wheel of a Viper. I was an owner of a C5 before I bought my GTS, and I ended up getting rid of the C5 because I didn't feel like driving it any more!! Get in a Viper and get up to speed! Once you do, your Vette will step into reality!! I am only being honest here, not trying to put down Vettes.
I already have a deposit on a 2003! I can't wait to drive it! That means two Vipers, no Vette! And like usual, this Viper will blow away Vettes(sorry had to say that!) and people everywhere will dream of just being able to catch a peek at a Gen III Viper! If you don't believe me, go to a car show and see where all the people are!!
But if you can't have a Viper, well, a Vette is a great way to go! God Bless America!!

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember my absolute deep love for Vettes. There was simply no other sports car. Period. When the Viper came out (I was 19 when I first stared at the '89 showcar for about 3 guilty hours)It was blocked out of my head of being a real sports car (obtainable)and all excuses were made in my head that the Corvette was simply better. Fast forward 10 years when I had my first new C5 on order (again, brainwashing myself into thinking this was the best looking/performing car around) when I accidentally came accross a very obtainable, perfect condition 1994 Viper with 5000 miles on it. I melted, my heart skipped a beat and I think I drooled. The car was never a consideration but the emotional impact I had while looking at it and the idea that I could really buy it overwhelmed me.

I still think Corvettes are pretty great, that is what I would be polishing in my driveway if the Viper did not exist. The fact is they lack the overwhelming passion that the Viper generates, wait until this kid gets some real money and choices placed in front of him, then lets see what happens.

Jeff

Reaction score
The 2002 ZO6 will have 405HP and 400ftlb of torque which puts it in the I Gen Viper numbers. This is from a small block v8. Same balanced chasis as the present C5s' (mr Vetteman). Depending on the weight of the car it may be quicker than the Gen II vipers. We'll have to wait and see. If its true that the Gen III vipers are going to cost 95K (I hope not!) than the ZO6 might be the best bang for the buck!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vettes have a long way to go to catch up to the Gen II Vipers! Let's not forget that many 0-60 times on Gen II GTS are 4.0, 1/4s in 12.2 or less!! Where is the ZO6(R&T has it at 4.6, 13.0) way behind! And let's not forget, we are talking about the 2003 Viper in this topic. Yes, that would be 500hp+! Now where does that put the 2002 ZO6?? I'll tell you, years behind the Viper! I know, V-8 vs. V-10.....EXACTLY!!!
Also, the 2003 is to list for $69-72k(R&T)! Although, you will have a hard time to get one for that price. The Vette is a great car! For the money too, thas is obvious. Usually, if you are talking about, 'bang for the buck', and you aren't talking about the Viper, well, you just don't have the buck to buy the Viper! I was also like Jeff, C5 before I got my Viper, now I wouldn't think about a Vette again. Try the Viper when you can!!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an owner of 30 vettes in my life from 66 427 to z06 I can tell you the vettes ok. I really like the z06 and the zr1, but face it they are too generic and theres to many of them. If you want a smooth cruiser with good power the vettes for you. But if you want an *** kicken batmobile that you will never see when your cruzin that people flip out over when they see it, and you can handle the stiff suspension and the brutal accelleration of an overpowered slot car then you must definately want a viper. I have had to recently sell my z06 because I was offered a small profit and because after driving a viper for the last few years the looks and power of a viper have spoiled me. If you can't afford a viper but you can afford a vette don't buy it wait until you can afford the viper you will be glad you did.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom's XJR has more horsepower than a Z06! Corvettes are great cars but they really have some catching up to do. I would love to see a stock Corvette that can run with a Viper. Competition only produces better products.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mako its not about my dogs bigger than yours I agree with you performance figures .5 in the quarter maybe even .7 but where your wrong, that is night and day at least a tractor trailer or more just in the quarter mile on the street it would be brutal, but the real point I am trying to make is you don't have to send your viper anywhere for more power, its already got enough and you get an awsome warranty its the total package right out of the box. A good driver with a stock viper can usually run right with or better than alot of the modified cars. Here your already taking about modifying a car you claim is already awsome but it must not really be if you feel you need to try to make it faster. You can build anything to go faster than something else the beauty is getting it delivered that way to you from the factory with no sacrifices, something that you always make when you modify a car.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I'll be sitting out the gen III (or chapter 3 as they like to say) until the coupe arrives. Don't sweat the heat there vettemaan, I was pretty ***** when I was sixteen, and ain't all that charp at seventeen, neither. Last vette that I'd be a customer for would be the '67 (speaking of big motors in chassis' that can't deal). Been pretty much a steady plummet in vetteland since, IMO.

Reaction score
A Vette 40K less than a Viper???? If so please point me in the direction you found this deal and I will buy everyone they have!!!!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the Vette guys,
You are correct. I should have said my mom's XJR (stock) has more HP then a C5 (25 more) and 15 less then the Z06. Funny how you guys make a big deal about 15 HP but say .4 in the quarter is "not very significant"!

laptopman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little Story about my friends 2001 Z06. Well just hit 2000k miles on my 2000 Viper ACR and he drove his about 1000 miles with his freshly installed stage 3 Carroll Supercharger on his Vette. We raced from stop up to about 130mph and Blam his engine compartment caught on fire and a huge smoke cloud followed him behind. It is now in the shop :< ! I tell you as a previous 2000 C5 owner that Corevettes are ok but you've got to ask yourself a question. Why are you buying a sports car? One, to look awesome and get people to drool at it. Two, to perform kick butt and spank just about anything on the Road. Simple Vette=common and boreing and gets spanked even with a supercharger by a Stock GTS-ACR. Viper=makes girls really excited and spanks just about everything except my friends diablo 6.0 vt all modified out of its gords.

If you got the bucks buy a Viper if you got mega bucks buy a diablo vt 6.0 all tricked out. If anyone wants to buy my ol 2000 ACR lemme know I'm thinking about buying that diablo vt 6.0 hehehe

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how misinformed I am. I only read what is written in the most popular Mags., Road&Track and Motor Trend. Here's what I see in this months issue. R&T has Z06 at 4.6 and 13.0, Viper at 4.3 and 12.5. And MT has 4.3 and 12.6 for Vette and 4.1 and 12.2 Viper. The times I gave were what I read, hell if I am off, it's only because these very read mags. are just wrong!! The lowest times I have seen for the Z06 is the 4.3, I have seen 3.8 for the GTS. The point being, no matter how hard you look, the difference is close to .5 sec., well, most of us understand that 1/2 second is a long time.
Once again, let's not forget that the 2003 Viper will be faster than the Gen II. Putting the Vette even farther behind!
On the positive side for the Vette, time will come here soon for the C6. They say 400hp with the new body. Well, maybe you Vette guys can get one of those early and get some interest from enthusiast. That's what I got from my C5 the first 6 months. It won't last long though, as there will be 35,000 made the next year.
I think the Vette is a great car. After going from my C5 to my GTS I can't ever see myself going back to a Vette!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a really sad thread..it all started as a simple question about how many of us would consider a 2003 Viper. Instead, it has become another one of those Vette vs Viper bash threads. With all due respect to the Vette folks...I would not own any car made by GM at any price....period. Agreed...the C5 is the best Vette ever...but isn't this the Viper board? The only thing that a Corvette or a Viper have in common is two seats and 4 wheels touching the ground. Oh yeah...about the the 2003? I am holding off my opinion until I see one in person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960