HOW MUCH IS MY VIPER WORTH - MAY NEED to sell... need some advice/comments :(

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry for not being around lately i've been VERY busy with working and full time night classes. I need some help/adive/comments....

So I've been doing A LOT of thinking lately. I just got out of the Marine Corps coming on 2 years in October. I loved being a Marine but the tight restrictions and being sent overseas all the time was enough for me, so I got out. Well I got out Oct 2007 landed a great job at Boeing and I currently work full time and go to night classes full time to get my degree (will be done in 9 months :)

Now the PROBLEM....

I don't care much for my job, it;s a great job with awesome benefits and i'm doing GREAT with what looks like a good amount of room for growth and promotion, dispite that fact I just don't think it's what i'm meant to be doing, nor do I want to live in St.Louis forever.

SO I am thinking/going to join the U.S. Border Patrol next MAY after I complete my college Bachelors degree. I will in turn being learning spanish and hope by next year I am fairly/mostly fluent or very good at speaking the language BEFORE I even go to the Border Patrol Academy. My 7 or 8 yrs Military experience will go towards the Border Patrol since their Department of Defense, so I get all the benefits and a good 401K plan too. Plus while in the academy I can collect the GI Bills since it;s approved for school. I am proficient and trained in small arms and heavy machine guns, including Marine Corps martial arts, ballistic shield instructor, pressure point control techniques, riot control, OC pepper spray qualified (that sucked), close quarters combat, Handcuffing techniques, PR-24 & Asp baton qualified, basically everything a cop does since I was the Detachment Commander on Embassy Duty for 3 years, I hold a current Top Secret clerance for the past 5 years also. So going in I will start at at least GS-7 but most likely I think I qualify for GS-9 starting with all those qualifications. Promotion is there and fast and best of all my Fiance is behind me ready to move with me 100%, i figure we'll have to do a tour on the northern border first and then i'll put in and settle in San Diego when a slot opens up.

SO seeing how I am going to do this I have to sell the Viper, i'm not sure that I have to but it will make the transition and everything much easier and less stressful, all my debt will be paid off etc.

SO how much is my Viper worth?

99 Viper RT/10
33,000 miles
B&B Headers
B&B Exhaust catback
VipAir
Roe Racing smooth tubes
NX Duel Bottle Nitrous System (Sprayed it a few times, once taken to the track and I got kicked off for running a 10.666@133mph) W / purge kit
MGW Accessories
AP Engineering 3 Piece Hard Top W/functional air duct - BY Jeff Lemke
Diamondback Hood
5% tinted Windows all aorund w/6" brow
CCW 505 wheels
Tom Haydens 40mm Rear caliper upgrades
Drilled and slotted rotors
RS4 Brake pads all around
Short throw shifter
shift light
Alpine head unit and speakers W a 10" diamond sub footwell box (SOUNDS AWESOME)
custom chrome emblems "nitrous injected"

Basically a LOT of stuff has been done. It's fully customized, I LOVE it and WHEN i buy another one i'm making it exactly the same, but W/a Roe SC lol.

So what do you all think it's worth, I don;t have to sell it today but by next year so I can wait a while so I don;t take a huge loss due to the economy. Heck maybe I won;t have to sell it but it's the better plan on making this transition the easiest.

So what do you all think? Any advice/comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say to throw it up on eBay and see what happens. It will only cost $1.00 if the car does not sell and the information received will be well worth it. Also try to sell by the end of the summer if you want the most money when sold.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say 36-38K because of the economy. Very nice ride. I am currently in the military and am in the aerospace industry. I don't know how much your mind is made up but, if I were you I would hold off on the border patrol for just a bit and see where your career takes you at Boeing once you get your degree completed (what is major?). The reason I am saying this is, like you stated, there is a lot of room to move up in Boeing. If you bust your ass every day, they will reward you. I know that you don't want to live in St. Louis forever but, give it another year or two, get your degree done, get promoted, and put in for a transfer. There is a lot of oppurtunity in that company and if you continue to move up, you will be making much more than you could ever dream of making working for the border patrol. Plus, your top secret will also open other avenues.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUCH I was hoping for a lot more than that. I'd lose a ton of money if I sold it for that price. I know I won't get what I put into it but that price isn't even near what I bought it for when it was stock 10K miles ago, and i've got over 25K + sunk into it on top of what I bought it for. Maybe i should wait until the economy goes up and sell it then? I could probably wait longer and swing selling it in a year or two or so?

Yah i've thought about staying at Boeing but i'm a guy who was born and raised an outdoor guy and I love working with my hands. Sitting behind a desk pushing papers isn't ME if you know what i'm saying. I hate working in rooms with no windows and I couldn't do it for the 35+ years that I still have to work before I retire. I thought making money was the most important but my perception as i'm getting older is changing, I'd rather make less doing what I love vice making a lot of money doing something that bores me. I'd like to go to a job everyday that I love going to or at least really enjoy. My current job is intresting but my daily work is BORING to me. I was a Ground Support Equipment mechanic/electrician my first 4 years in the Marines, then transferred to a physical armed Embassy Guard/Detachment Commander position for three years, then I got out and I work at a desk. Definately not my thing as i've tried it for 2 years now. My job here is great, my management loves me and I have a promotion coming up, but that still isn;t changing the fact that this isn;t a job for me. I could do it but I wouldn;t be happy in life if your following me.

I'm the guy who excels at almost everything I do (not being cocky) I just strive to be the best in everything and give 110% all the time. I exceled past my peers in the Marines and was even maratoriously promoted to Staff Sergeant, finished top of my class at every formal schooling in the Marines including MSG school. So I think I should do really well at the Border Patrol academy.

My brother in law's, Brother, works for the Border Patrol and makes 135K after being there for 5 years. A GS-9 starts out a little less than what I make now, but after two yrs your salary really jumps especially if your squared away and kick ass which i'm determined to do, after 5+ years your sitting with a pretty nice paycheck and great benefits, not to mention my Military years go toward retirement with the Border Patrol BUT NOT AT BOEING. So considering that I'd make good money at either place, yes more at Boeing but then i'd dislike my job, so i'm willing to take a pay cut to persue something I enjoy. Plus i'm ready for some adventure and living somewhere else. I've looked at the Boeing locations and they aren;t located where I want to end up. It's just basically any job I get with my TS is a job with no windows and that *****! I go stir crazy being cooped up all day and we work some long hours so that makes it worse.

I appreciate the advice, I've been thinking about all the stuff you've asked. It's a hard decision to leave such a great company with such great benefits. I've always wanted to work here and now I can say I have, but it's just not for me. So i'll start another journey and get qualified in something else. Heck if I don't like Border patrol, my TS and degree aren't going anywhere and i'm still experienced in this job if I ever have to come back, and of course i'll be leaving on very good terms so future employment could always be a possibility if needed as a fall back plan.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second 99VPRGTS.

Additionally, you are working and going to college that is alot of stress. Don't discount it. Plus, don't forget what happened to those guys working border patrol a few years ago.

Give yourself a chance to breath after getting your degree.

I have been at that point in my career where I needed to step back. I did step back but also kept working in my field as a contractor. Good thing since long term I am still working in my chosen profession. The alternative didn't workout to my satisfaction.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUCH I was hoping for a lot more than that. I'd lose a ton of money if I sold it for that price. I know I won't get what I put into it but that price isn't even near what I bought it for when it was stock 10K miles ago, and i've got over 25K + sunk into it on top of what I bought it for. Maybe i should wait until the economy goes up and sell it then? I could probably wait longer and swing selling it in a year or two or so?

Yah i've thought about staying at Boeing but i'm a guy who was born and raised an outdoor guy and I love working with my hands. Sitting behind a desk pushing papers isn't ME if you know what i'm saying. I hate working in rooms with no windows and I couldn't do it for the 35+ years that I still have to work before I retire. I thought making money was the most important but my perception as i'm getting older is changing, I'd rather make less doing what I love vice making a lot of money doing something that bores me. I'd like to go to a job everyday that I love going to or at least really enjoy. My current job is intresting but my daily work is BORING to me. I was a Ground Support Equipment mechanic/electrician my first 4 years in the Marines, then transferred to a physical armed Embassy Guard/Detachment Commander position for three years, then I got out and I work at a desk. Definately not my thing as i've tried it for 2 years now. My job here is great, my management loves me and I have a promotion coming up, but that still isn;t changing the fact that this isn;t a job for me. I could do it but I wouldn;t be happy in life if your following me.

I'm the guy who excels at almost everything I do (not being cocky) I just strive to be the best in everything and give 110% all the time. I exceled past my peers in the Marines and was even maratoriously promoted to Staff Sergeant, finished top of my class at every formal schooling in the Marines including MSG school. So I think I should do really well at the Border Patrol academy.

My brother in law's, Brother, works for the Border Patrol and makes 135K after being there for 5 years. A GS-9 starts out a little less than what I make now, but after two yrs your salary really jumps especially if your squared away and kick ass which i'm determined to do, after 5+ years your sitting with a pretty nice paycheck and great benefits, not to mention my Military years go toward retirement with the Border Patrol BUT NOT AT BOEING. So considering that I'd make good money at either place, yes more at Boeing but then i'd dislike my job, so i'm willing to take a pay cut to persue something I enjoy. Plus i'm ready for some adventure and living somewhere else. I've looked at the Boeing locations and they aren;t located where I want to end up. It's just basically any job I get with my TS is a job with no windows and that *****! I go stir crazy being cooped up all day and we work some long hours so that makes it worse.

I appreciate the advice, I've been thinking about all the stuff you've asked. It's a hard decision to leave such a great company with such great benefits. I've always wanted to work here and now I can say I have, but it's just not for me. So i'll start another journey and get qualified in something else. Heck if I don't like Border patrol, my TS and degree aren't going anywhere and i'm still experienced in this job if I ever have to come back, and of course i'll be leaving on very good terms so future employment could always be a possibility if needed as a fall back plan.

Oh wow I didn't know that you could make that much in the border patrol! Well, pushing papers is always boring, but, when you start to get involved in the descision making with the company, it can get pretty rewarding...especially when you see your descision making performing out in the military.

As far as the Viper goes, yeah it ***** that the economy is so bad right now. Even the low mileage GTS's have been hit. If you had a coupe, I would say it would be worth a little over 40K with your current mods. But I have seen some really nice cars with low mileage for the mid 30's (GTS's). Do you still have your stock hood? If so, that would be worth at least 5K if it's in good shape. With the CCW's, I would say the high end value on the car would be 40K but that would really be pushing it! I have seen bone stock 99 RT/10's with like 10K miles going for 33-34K and GTS's going for 35-40K depending on the options.

Honestly, if I were you, hold off on selling the car. I would finish school, get that promotion at Boeing, stay long enough to get comfortable, them make the transfer to the border patrol. Not saying you have to put your life on hold for a car, but look at it this way, you are in familar surroundings, you know your job so there is no training, you know the people there, and you are close to graduating. Plus, you will lose 15000+ in the money you have poured into your Viper! Stay another year to finish your schooling, get your promotion, then make the transfer. Thats just one rung on the ladder higher that you can put on your resume as your last position in your last job.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD VPR, is the BP position you are interested in, a uniform 1810 or a Federal Agent 1811? I've been a Federal Agent (1811) with NCIS for 24 years, maybe I can suggest a few things...PM me when you get the chance. Thanks, jim

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD, Good luck with whatever you decide, man! I say forget about eBay as a means to see what your car is worth. All you get is low-ballers looking for a deal. The only other bit of advice: you're under a lot of pressure. Don't take it out on the Viper. If you can see your way clear of selling it for a year or two, you'll be way better off than selling it and buying another later. All depends on the economics of course. But if you don't NEED the money, you'll wind up under the same pressure but without a Viper. You won't be any happier then, believe me!

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad time to sell if you can hold onto the car dont sell,what hurts the price is the miles, for me miles are low for most miles are high.like others said put it on ebay see what the highest offer goes and put a reserve,good luck

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dude,
I was in a similar situation to yours back in '99, except I WAS active duty Military & hated my job, the deployments, etc...
I had 10 years in at the time and everybody said just **** it up & do the other 10. Shocked alot of people when I walked- just had to do something diff.
I'm outdoorsy type like you. Got my act together, hammered on the degree, and landed a spot with the CHP. Had some tough times when they stopped hiring in 2003- I had an academy date only a few months away when they shut it all down.
Wife was behind me 100%, she worked full time while I piddled with odd jobs...waiting. Got the call late 2004, going strong ever since-GREAT CAREER! I'm a pilot so I'm biding my time on the road- will be in the air sooner or later:D
Do It!
If you can do what you love & make a decent living at it jump! You'll never regret it!
As far as the Viper goes, well, its a buyer's market. I just picked up my 2005 Copperhead for 38k. Maybe better to hang on to yours.
Good luck & maybe someday I'll see you down in San Diego...
:usa:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say 36-38K because of the economy. Very nice ride.

Are you kidding? He permanently altered the factory original and I don't mean just a different hood and wheels. For a Viper purist looking to buy that alone devalues it at least $5k. Also, engine mods generally lower the value because most people think that the car has been driven harder than usual.

Lastly, did you see the recent thread on here about the 98 GTS going for $32,500 because of no other resonable offers?

$30k tops in this economy is my estimate.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like you are in a pretty penny. Cars are sadly addictive. I recall all the mods I wanted to do to my RT but had to stop at fear of resale. I do not mean this to hurt at all and you and I have known eachother on here for years but I think it is going to be very tough to even $40K for a 1999 in any economy unless it was heavily supercharged (fully built motor) or Turbocharged. I would suggest to part it out if you ever need to sell and go that route. You will DEFINATELY get more money that way.

Best of luck with whatever route you choose!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? He permanently altered the factory original and I don't mean just a different hood and wheels. For a Viper purist looking to buy that alone devalues it at least $5k. Also, engine mods generally lower the value because most people think that the car has been driven harder than usual.

Lastly, did you see the recent thread on here about the 98 GTS going for $32,500 because of no other resonable offers?

$30k tops in this economy is my estimate.

Sigh, maybe you are not seeing the entire picture. First off, those rims/tires are about almost 6K and they hold their resale value really well. So, take the rims off and even with all the mods, the car would be worth about 31-32K. It is a 99 which is a very good year and I think that is more than reasonable to pay for it even with the aftermarket hood.

Could you please define "viper purist"??? You only count as one opinion dude. He should have no problem getting rid of that car the way it sits for mid 30's mainly because of the rims. Yes the mileage is high, but there are a lot of people that would consider that a decent buy when looking at all that is done to it.

EDIT: Oh and BTW if you think putting an almost $6000 set of CCW rims on a Viper devalues it...you need to put the crack pipe down. The hood, maybe, but the rims...well...go ask around.

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could you please define "viper purist"??? You only count as one opinion dude. He should have no problem getting rid of that car the way it sits for mid-high 30's mainly because of the rims...

Factory original or a Viper that at least has all of the original parts that could be put back in that condition if the owner wanted to.

So...why was georgethedog only able to get $33,000 for his 98 GTS yesterday? It had 16,465 miles on it.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well dude, maybe you should read the conditions on why he was selling his GTS so cheap. Stop trying to spin things to make yourself sound right. He was dumping it for that much because of his financial/upcoming divorce situation. I don't give a $hit how bad you think the economy is, a 1998 GTS with 16K miles is worth more than 33k. He knows that, I know that, and everyone on this board knows that. It sold in less than a week dude becuase of the price...

EDIT: BTW people buy many modded Vipers all the time...this is another thing that you should ask around about. :D

Last edited:

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definately not the time to try and sell a car, especially a Viper. Was trying to sell mine, but noone interested wanted to come and see the car..........guess I'll keep it. Either fire sale it, or hold on to it.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JUCD, Good luck with whatever you decide, man! I say forget about eBay as a means to see what your car is worth. All you get is low-ballers looking for a deal. The only other bit of advice: you're under a lot of pressure. Don't take it out on the Viper. If you can see your way clear of selling it for a year or two, you'll be way better off than selling it and buying another later. All depends on the economics of course. But if you don't NEED the money, you'll wind up under the same pressure but without a Viper. You won't be any happier then, believe me!
I couldn't have said it better! :2tu: Unless you need the $$$, don't sell in this economy. Lots of lowballers trying to persuade people into selling right now. And rightfully so! It's a buyers market, not sellers!! Just my $.02! Good luck on what you decide and thanks for your service!!! :2tu:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUDC VPR,

Hello???....you have a chance to move to one of the most magical places in the USA...perfect for driving a Viper and you want to sell it?

Look, you don't sound like a desk jockey to me...you've done and seen things that your current co-workers would just never get or understand. You and they are on a different wavelength. Screw the airline thing and do what you want. If you don't, you'll never be successful because your job will feel like a "job". When you "like" going to work and it doesn't feel like work....now you have a career that you can apply your passion and grow with. When your career is good, everything else seems to fall into place. Plus, you'll be working with people that you have a better connection with.

Don't worry about having enough money...If it was meant to be, it will work out for the best and you'll be happy and still have your Viper. Everytime I sold something for the "money", I would always look back and realize that I could have made it work if I really wanted to and be pissed that I sold myself short.

Good luck with your decision,

George

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelley blue book it for year and mileage plus condition. Bottom line and most people dont realize it that "after market mods are worth 10 cents on the dollar" (straight quote from Woodhouse sales and I found this out the hard way) and many dont even want a car that is modded extensively i.e. warranty, reliability, etc. You buy mods for your OWN reason. Hope you get a decent price though and I know you will miss it.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a nice car Jim but one thing I would do is remove all signs of the Nitrous! Most people think that because a car has Nitrous installed that the car was or has been abused.

Now, don't take this the wrong way but most people would give their left nut for the job that you have and you want throw it away. You have great benefits, security, promotions, etc. To each his own but you have a huge decision to make, I know what I would do................
:D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to go a different route. I am much the same way as you. I did the desk/ paper puching job for three years. Hated it. I like working with my ands and seeing progress. At a desk....:crazy2:

When I speak to high school kids about what they might like to do for a living when they graduate, or go to college for, I always recommend find whatever it is that you like to do the most, then find someone to pay you for doing it! Is it always realistic, no. But where I am going with this is regardless of if you are being paid $1 mil for something you hate, or $100 K for something you love, in the end you will still be happier doing what you love! The money will be enough modivation at the start but after a few years that will no longer be enough incentive for your brain to keep you happy.

My suggestion would be do what you would be happiest doing and if it looks like you can get paid very well there too, that is a bonus. But dude, do something that you would like to do even if you were not being paid for it, and something that you do not dread. That way when Monday comes, you dont think Oh Crap, I dont want to go to work. I hate it there.:(

Trust me. Been there done that.

EDIT: Oh yes, the original question! ;) Yes, GTS values are down big time! If you can, keep it for now. Mods do not hold the same value when selling time comes. Ironically stock cars do often get the same or more as modded cars get the impression of being abused. I would say $40K would be the high end of what you can get, but if you do sell, take some time and try for what you can get! The right buyer is always out there. I would suggest keeping it, but if you can't...

Robert

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang