How much vandalism can be expected?

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering what your experiences with vandalism have been.

I've had two camaros in the last 4 years and I have been keyed a total of 3 times. Two of these happened at college, one happened at an apartment complex.

It's such a pain to fix, and costly. I would like to think that people wouldn't vandalise a Viper becuase they would respect it more than a Camaro. What is the reality?

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Verdana">I've had mine less than three months and have rarely let it out of my sight. It's in the garage otherwise.

You would be wise to follow the advise on your earlier thread about getting a ****** for everyday driving if your snake will be exposed for long periods. I was in the grocery store with my wife one day and got paraniod because we had been in there over 20 minutes. I went outside to check on the car and there were about 11 or 12 people hovering around. No damage, but gawking and envy are part of the Viper experience.</FONT f>
You must be registered for see images

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the movie theater with my girlfriend, and when we came back out, all four of my tires were flat. I have a Viper brand alarm, and it went off. Whoever did it didn't slash the tires-rather they just held down the air valve and let all of the air out! The AAA guy came and filled my tires up and I was good to go. No other problems since.

Tim

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how far you part your car away from other cars, some ******** idiot will part right next to you and leave a door ding and drive away. I've got like 4 of them on my car.

Wouldn't you think if you part next to a really nice car, you'd be more careful? I don't understand ppl. In all my years of driving, I"ve NEVER door dinged someone else...

Gerald

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple answer - Never ever let a Viper out of your sight. Far too many envious, devious, low life, **** bag morons out there that would just love to make your life as miserable as their's.

I have gone out to dinner with the Viper, however, and hired a guard to stand over it. That works pretty well.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with everyone, never let it out of your site. Joe is correct, there are always lowlife who want you to be miserable as they are. I even had one guy start cussing me out because I was driving a Viper (the little sh*t). Then there are the clueless, irresponsible people who think they don't have to pay the consequences of their actions and can get away with it. One time I witnessed some guy pull up to a nice car in a parking lot and ended up scraping the car along the side. When he realized what he had done, he started to back out and proceeded to tear off the rear bumper in the process and then drive off and park down the same isle a ways down. He obviously didn't realize that he was witnessed by about ten people and didn't get away with it, but he sure did try.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even living in the boonies you get some vandalism. I had my radar detector stolen out of the car and while they leaned into it they caused a minor scratch.

Funny thing is, I didn't have any problem leaving the car around anywhere until this last summer when I thoroughly embarrased the local teenage heart-throb in his Camaro at the drag strip. All of a sudden now the Viper isn't "cool" any more, it's the one to beat, or beat up!

It makes me feel old saying this, but when I was a teenager a car like a Ferrari or Lamborghini was to be revered, not vandalized. I just wanted to see them, sit in them, or maybe even get lucky enough to get a ride in them. It never crossed my mind to key them!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had nothing but positive experiences in my Viper 98'RT-10 to date. Everyone of all ages, etc has been very kind and appreciative.

I do go out of my way to compliment teen drivers and give them a "thumbs up" and appreciate their cars. In past experience, ignoring people only ****** them off.

While parking at the grocery store, I just park as far away as I can. Going out for dinner, I park as close to the entrance of the place as possible. The Viper is very, very special, but it is just a car. It is not your wife or child, and it can be fixed or replaced. Live your life, drive the Viper, and enjoy it. Nothing is perfect forever. Try to relax and remember what is truly important!

Sincerely,

Jim

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jim,

As I read this thread I was starting to think I was the only one. It is just a car, and a Dodge at that. I drive mine every day except during the winter. Sure there are places I would never take it. And I am very careful about where I park it. But I just can't leave it at home and drive another car without a real good reason. I bought it to drive it, not to look at it.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of valets.... A $150,000 Ferrari was wrecked recently at the Ritz Carlton in Dana Point. A valet smashed it into a tree while taking it to the parking area - turned out he had another valet buddy of his in the car with him when he wrecked the car. Just hope they comped the owner's stay!

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with this sort of thing, and I drive and park my car with only moderate precautions. If a parking lot is not crowded, I'll pick a spot in the back and take up 2 spaces. People, in general, will understand as long as every space isn't filled. My opinion is that a car is meant to be driven and used, this one more than most, and never letting the car out of your sight only detracts from your enjoyment of it.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I park my car in an 'end' spot to avoid door dings, although I never take up two spots. I think that encourages vandalism. After I park, I generally forget about it. So far, no problems.

Not everyone is interested in a Viper and they just leave it alone.

Jim

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems yet, but it only takes once!!! I rarely let it out of my sight for more than a few minutes and always, I repeat aways, park away from others. Most people are just curious. Best of luck

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agee with ACR Joe, NEVER let you snake out of your sight. Get a ****** to go to the mall, movies or anywhere with a self serve parking lot. When you go to Valet park give em' a 10 spot, tell em' to put it in a good spot.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some **** sat on the hood once. I stayed in sight and chased him off. Somebody stole a hat out of it once. Other than those two things no problems.

I slip the valet a 10 or 20 and they move whichever car I ask them to and I park the car myself.

At the mall or grocery store I park WAY OUT in the boonies (passing up many spaces closer to the store) and sometimes take two spots. If somebody has a problem with that they need to see a shrink.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The Viper is very, very special, but it is just a car. It is not your wife or child, and it can be fixed or replaced. Live your life, drive the Viper, and enjoy it. Nothing is perfect forever. Try to relax and remember what is truly important!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
As I read this thread I was starting to think I was the only one. It is just a car, and a Dodge at that. I drive mine every day except during the winter. Sure there are places I would never take it. And I am very careful about where I park it. But I just can't leave it at home and drive another car without a real good reason. I bought it to drive it, not to look at it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with both comments however each to his own! I have only had mine a couple of months and one thing that would take away from my enjoyment of it would be to see it get beat-up either by me or someone else. My identity is not ******* in it and I am constantly telling people "it's just a car", but I like to take care of my stuff. Just because I do doesn't mean I don't keep it in perspective and cherish my family and the "important things". Please drop the "Holier Than Thou"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala