how much weight does chrome add to rims?

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just so i can have some rough idea or for anyone that has weighed their rims before and after chrome. thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think it to be rather trivial.

Take the weight of chromium per given volume.

Estimate the surface area of your wheel.

Multiply times a coating thickness of 0.0005 inches and you have the volume of your chromium.

Be sure and factor in the clear coat they remove before adding the chrome. It has weight too.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and, since they polish the wheelsbefore chroming there's probably no weight gain.

Ted

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
just so i can have some rough idea or for anyone that has weighed their rims before and after chrome. thanks

Rough idea? Based on 17" RT10:

-Find a NIT.
-Pick It Up and weigh it.
-Multiply X 4.

-add 10% for 18"
-add 20% for 19"
-add 25% for 20"
-Add 2% if any wheel is WAXED.

If a 17" OE wheel, DEDUCT (3 NITS) for stripped powdercoat and clear.

If just a clear coated wheel deduct 1 NIT 18" and 1.5 NITS 19"

CAUTION: When PICKING NITS do NOT break their tiny legs off......the weight changes.

Last edited:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Find a NIT.
-Multiply X 4.

-add 10% for 18"
-add 20% for 19"
-add 25% for 20"

CAUTION: When PICKING NITS do NOT break their tiny legs off......the weight changes.
Jon, you're a nitwit! :lmao: :2tu:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Find a NIT.
-Multiply X 4.

-add 10% for 18"
-add 20% for 19"
-add 25% for 20"

Yes, I have to agree. The weight changes significantly when you pull the legs off, thereby making any data analysis irrelevant after the fact.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you fill the tires with pure nitrogen (available at Costco) this will help mitigate any increase weight from the plating.

Remember that the wheels will be plated three times, copper, nickle, chrome. Believe the weight would be significant. (thicker coatings weigh more)

More significant, chrome plating has been reported to reduce the strength of plated wheels (please do not ask me by how much)/

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Paul noted above, if you want to worry about something, forget the weight concern and worry more about possible embrittlement of the aluminum surface of the wheel which could lead to compromised structural integrity if you drive hard with sticky rubber like in racing. There is a reason you don't see real race cars driving around on chromed suspension and wheel components and I don't think it is because it adds a lot of weight, though it must add some.

Is it a big concern for a street car? Probably not, but I know that there have been some reports of street Busas breaking their aluminum rims after having them chromed, but perhaps it was just coincidence and the wheels where flawed before chroming.

My own experience has not been with aluminum, but I have seen hydrogen embrittlement problems with steel first hand and it's not a pretty sight. Perhaps one of the local metallurgical experts can chime in on this one.

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Paul noted above, if you want to worry about something, forget the weight concern and worry more about possible embrittlement of the aluminum surface of the wheel which could lead to compromised structural integrity if you drive hard with sticky rubber like in racing. There is a reason you don't see real race cars driving around on chromed suspension and wheel components and I don't think it is because it adds a lot of weight, though it must add some.

Is it a big concern for a street car? Probably not, but I know that there have been some reports of street Busas breaking their aluminum rims after having them chromed, but perhaps it was just coincidence and the wheels where flawed before chroming.

My own experience has not been with aluminum, but I have seen hydrogen embrittlement problems with steel first hand and it's not a pretty sight. Perhaps one of the local metallurgical experts can chime in on this one.

Yeah, what he said...:)
If you're gonna track it (other than 1/4 mi) I would steer clear of chrome. That is why you're concerned about weight, right?

OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am going to get 2 sets of rims one for street and one for track. i was asking because of the unsprung weight. i didnt want to add more there if i didnt have to and from what i have heard chroming rims add pounds to them. and from what john b said. i would be adding 20% of the rim weight in front and 25% in the rear. thats a lot of rotating mass!!

but anyways i have concluded that i will be getting a brushed aluminum finish instead of chrome

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i am going to get 2 sets of rims one for street and one for track. i was asking because of the unsprung weight. i didnt want to add more there if i didnt have to and from what i have heard chroming rims add pounds to them. and from what john b said. i would be adding 20% of the rim weight in front and 25% in the rear. thats a lot of rotating mass!!

but anyways i have concluded that i will be getting a brushed aluminum finish instead of chrome

What I said was, 4 NITS X + 20-25% .......... ie nuttin

I did call a respected chromer who stated that in 23 years he had not been asked, but guestimated less than 3 ounces of plating on a full chrome wheel. Or was that .3 oz ?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I shower daily and can not find any NITS. Please resubmit your formula using micro-newtons per atmosphere of gravity squared...

I had some small fig-newtons, and micro-waved them, creating micro-newtons.
The energy added caused them to crumble. Affected by the squared gravity, they fell to the shop floor where the NITS on my floor ate them.

These calorie-adjusted NITS screwed up my formula even before I adjusted for MbHg atmospheric.

Some days it dont pay to get up.....

PS. Next lesson we will discuss the centercap factor.... Gen 1-2-3 vs ACR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32