How the hell do you push the piston back in when changing e-brake pads?

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a ton of brake jobs before but I am either stupid today or something is wrong. I am trying to change the drivers side e brake pads and the piston is out too far to get the pads back on. I have tried to push it back in but it must be mechanical and I can not figure it out. I know it's going to be some stupidly easy thing that I am missing but it's driving me nuts and I want to get the pads back on today. Any help would be great. I did a search on here and could not find 1 post on how to do this. Thanks guys.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a ton of brake jobs before but I am either stupid today or something is wrong. I am trying to change the drivers side e brake pads and the piston is out too far to get the pads back on. I have tried to push it back in but it must be mechanical and I can not figure it out. I know it's going to be some stupidly easy thing that I am missing but it's driving me nuts and I want to get the pads back on today. Any help would be great. I did a search on here and could not find 1 post on how to do this. Thanks guys.

I have not done a brake job on a Viper yet. But, if it does not screw in with a special tool, which you probably would have needed to get it off, then use a C-clamp to force it back in. That's what I do on my daily driver. I use the old brake pad and put it across the piston to push it in and put the C-clamp on it and start turning. Maybe someone else will chime in.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you try to press it in, it will break something. Tom the fuel/oil geek would know more, but it has to be pushed in at the same time you turn it clockwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried doing that but the e brakes are not hydraulic so there is no fluid to push back in to the resevoir. The e brakes are mechanical and I'm scared I will break something if I force the piston back in. There was no special tool to get the pads off. That was easy. It's getting the piston back in that is baffling me.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The piston should have two pinholes where the piston retractor tool goes. Insert the two pins of the tool into the hoes and turn clockwise, this should retract the piston.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please post final results with what you had to do after you get it done. My ebrake pads were worn out and I have them out right now while I wait on new ones to get here, which should be Monday or Tuesday.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this "ebrake tool"? I've never changed an ebrake pad on any car I've ever owned before, but then again, I've never had a car that actually wears out ebrakes!:dunno:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a universal ebrake tool or some just Mod a socket to do the same job...

It will need to be pushed in and turned clockwise at the same time... May take a few turns before it catches and winds in.....

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no idea it would have to be turned in. Sure enough there are 2 pin holes on the face of the piston which would be for a special tool which of course I dont have. I just used a pair small pliars and grabbed the outside edges of the piston and it turned very easy with hardly any pressure so I didnt have to worry about damaging the sides of the piston. It only took a few turns and it was all the way in. It turns in clockwise. Very easy. I knew it would be something easy. Thanks for the help everyone. Its all back together. Now if the weather would smarten up I could take it out for a drive. If anybody needs any clarification on how to do it let me know.

Thanks.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the popular kits that have the different sized special brake tools do not have one small enough for the E-brake calipers.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to laugh at this since the first time I did mine I wasted hours...like a monkey with a football. And then I figured out it simply turned in. Can't recall what I used, but it was very easy to spin. Glad you figured it out.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone working on their own cars, best tool is the workshop manual.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pointy ends of a strong nose pliers in the 2 holes and you just screw it in. Alternatively, you could buy the specific tool for the job - Retractor (Brake Caliper Piston) Miller Part# 6366, if you can find one.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Not sure if this tool has the size you need? From harbor freight for only $8:
ebrake_tool.jpg

Four Wheel Disc Brake Piston Tool

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member