How to align?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, just got a set of adjustable coilovers. So I easily remove the old one and bolt on the new ones...now how do I get the car aligned if there isn't a shop nearby that can do it?

Thanks!

Ryan

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go far? (just being a smart a$$). I know the basics, but never get it quite right. I have had way better results with the machines.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NTB can do a basic alignment for you as long as the car is drivable. Or Maxwell should be able to do it. If you want an alignment like I got on the GTS... Good luck. You'll have to find a race shop again who will do it. Takes up to two days depending on how bad it is.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about any alignment shop can do a basic alignment for you.

+1

--------------------------------------------------------------

got one : Why did you upgrade your shocks? If for performance, you might not want to just drop it off at a shop and have em align to factory specs. The factory specs are very weak for going around turns. More camber can be added to the front with no detriment to tire wear because no matter what those rears go bald first:D. If you elaborate on the type of driving you do and your goals then some of us will chime in with recommended alignment specs for you:2tu:

Also, one of the key benefits of having a coil over system is the ability to cornerweight your car. The adjustable perches can be tweaked to create the most even distribution of weight across all four tires. More info on that here if you are interested: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/understanding-corner-weights/
This can only be done at a performance shop that has the 4-scale setup and stuff.

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with this new coil over setup due to cost and the fact that I need to lower my car a good inch. Most of my driving are on local roads...with maybe a road course once a year. Does that help?

I was told that by installing these things and lowering it, that a typical NTB or basic shop would only be able to align to factory spec which would no longer be valid when it lowers...is that true?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Steve at Vipair about his shocks, and he said on his SRT that he did not even do an alignment after lowering it. Let the camber just make cornering more fun.

Reaction score
The toe will change and can affect the rear setting enough that it is unstable... get an alignment trust me.

I talked to Steve at Vipair about his shocks, and he said on his SRT that he did not even do an alignment after lowering it. Let the camber just make cornering more fun.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that by installing these things and lowering it, that a typical NTB or basic shop would only be able to align to factory spec which would no longer be valid when it lowers...is that true?

That is a confusing statement...:dunno:

NTB or Anyone including yourself can align to whatever spec you want within the capability of the adjustment range.

When you lower a car with double a-arms like the Viper. Typically the Camber increases(negative) and the TOE increases OUT.
More Camber is good since the factory spec is weak. If you end up around 1.5 or less in the front i'd leave it be and 1.0 or less in the rear leave it be. The bigger concern is TOE. You will want your TOE(front&Rear) to be close to factory spec(TOE IN). This keeps your car wanting to go in a straight line down the road with increased high-speed stability.
Good news: TOE is the easiest thing to adjust with a simple twist of the TieRod.

FYI:

THIS IS CAMBER(Negative)

You must be registered for see images attach

THIS IS TOE

You must be registered for see images

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That passed negative camber and is now "F'd up!" I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. :crazy2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte