How to change battery in Early 1993, 1992 Viper?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so from what I can find out it looks like the battery is in the rear center of the car? But they moved the battery closer to the wheel later in 93?

I have an early 93 with the antenna so I'm assuming its in the center rear. Is this an easy change through the trunk? or do I have to go under the car?

Thanks!

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the battery was moved because of odors it caused in the trunk. But, I don't know if that is true or not.

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the battery location was changed to make room for the rear exhaust. I remember some European countries required exhausts routed to the rear instead of side, and the battery was in the way. It is really easy to change out the battery.

Spike

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard that one before but that sounds like a good explaination.

What is the best kind of battery to purchase for this?

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My most recent battery purchase for my 1993 was an AC Delco battery. The part number is 78-7YR, but the limitation is that it needs to be a side terminal battery. With the panel covering the battery, there really isn't room to fit a top terminal without cutting the top terminals (I don't think that is recommended). That kept me away from an Optima, and I've heard of some quality issues with them recently. If you don't drive your car too regularly, I would highly recommend looking into getting a battery tender. I'll be happy to show pics on hooking that up if you need them and a tender will definitely save you in replacement batteries in the future.
Spike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
DieHard Gold batteries have worked well for our Vipers..recently removed one electively that had been in the Viper for 8 years with no problems...just made me worry a little...and, YES, we do use Battery Tender Plus units on all.

I did just install a Sears DieHard Platinum is our SRT-10...will be interesting to see how it works out...a plus is that is won't leak...but it is heavier and much more expensive.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased one of the DieHard gold batteries, and I will let you know how that works out for a 92-93 Viper.

Spike - do you have an early 93 viper? if so i may have to purchase the battery you listed if the die hard doesnt work.

I purchased a battery tender but the battery is already shot, so hopefully in the future I will be fine.

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have an early 93. The Die-Hard should work fine and I'm not attached to any particular brand. Yeah, the battery tender won't save a bad battery, but will prolong the life of your new one.
Spike