how to go back to "stock"

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a '94 from the Mike Warner..a founding member of the VA/MD chapter of the Viper club!! Problem is I need this thing to get throught emissions in Northern VA. Anyone know if the K&N filter setup on the intake will go through? I'm pretty sure the PCV and valve cover breathers need to vent to the airbox... don't know. Too bad I have to swap the exhaust back to stock. Gotta have the Cats here!!

Anyone know someone "special" who will pass it here???

-:dunno:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jdeft1, Welcome to the world of Viper Ownership... PM one of the Moderators with you VIN #and they will update your status to Viper Owner or better yet, just join the Club!

Good Luck getting her past the ECO Police...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would NEVER go back to stock exhaust, especially if I had a Gen 1. Just buy Roe Hi-flow cats and instal them. No big deal. Yes the valve covers need to be vented to the intake. K&N should be OK.

Emmissions doesn't mean back to stock, it means you have to conform to emissions requirements, which aren't much on your car. Most E tests also check for "codes" and you may want to get someone to "read" your codes to make sure there isn't any before you go to test.

You don't want or need stock cats as they run very hot and "may cause injury" as well as overheating the cabin. Hi-flows are legal and many cars pass the tests even without any cats. Your state may be different however.

Ted

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does VA even do an underhood visual? The VA emissions website doesn't indicate they do. If so (here in MD they don't), you don't have anything to worry about in terms of the intake.

Since your Viper is OBD-1, you'll be put on the treadmill for a sniffer test. Hi-flow cats might pass.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is stock with KNN and corsa, went through VA emissions with no problem. Pre 1996 cars they do test slightly different as the emissions guys told me with I had another car there (1995).

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jdeft1, why not have it tested first to see if it will pass/fail? After if it does fail, they will inform you of the repairs necessary. John

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX for the insite guys... I sold my '95 a year ago and it was all stock.... I've been regretting it since. The reson I want to go back is simple... The original equipment came with the car! so... a quick swap, a test then back!! The hoops they make me jump through..what a joke!! I changed out the K&N setup today and yes, the PVC has to vent into the airbox.. I intend to wrap the original exhaust because the heat shields were removed. Hopefully, this thing gets through the enviro squad.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are 5 counties in VA that do emissions (at least last time I checked): Prince William, Fairfax, Loudon, Arlington and Virginia Beach or something like that. They all do under hood visual inspections as far as I know.