How to Install Fiberglass Front Fascia ?????????????

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to put my fascia back on (garage took it off) and I thought I could simply spread it over the radiator closure panel.

However, it simply doesn't want to spread that extra 1.5 inches.

So how is this done properly?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a [******] fiberglass.

If you simply try to spread it, there seems to be a bind at the outboard side of the headlights.

Also, the fascia flange gets wider half way up the radiator closure panel which makes spreading and sliding it over more difficult.

Also, there is a barb pin tab that is right in front of the headlight connecting the fascia to the bumper beam, that is completely obscured when the fascia is in position. So how do you put the barb in??

Fortunately, I am going to walk thru this before I have the fascia all done.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming the Henn-essey fascia is similar to the stock fascia, then you simply slide any one end (left or right) over the corresponding support and pull over the opposite end. Don't be afraid to use force. They are very flexible and quite capable of taking 5 mph accidents without any damage (yeah I'm experienced).

As to the barb (christmas tree/push pin) behind the headlight, it can be accessed fairly easily from the round access cover at the front of the front fenderwell.

Also there are a lot of posts about fixing the front fascia. Just do a search. Hope this helps and I don't think you were being ignored.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AviP,

We tried putting it on like that and actually produced a small crack on the upper edge by the headlight when trying to spread it over. The "little cracking" sounds you heard spreading it are terrifying! For a race car, I wouldn't think twice, for a beautifully painted street car, I might consider painting the fascia on the car rather than off.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm, call the guy who made it and sold it in the first place...

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is a ***** getting it over the wheel opening. Mine put a little harline crack as well below the headlight. I dont know of anyother way to do this however. This facia is fiberglass and does not flex as much as the OEM urethane. I just repaired mine after it was on the car and refinished.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't an easy task and it's not an impossible task to install the nose without breaking the fiberglass. You will need (2) people minimum to install the fascia correctly and like Mike Adams pointed out, you will need to trim the core support to make this happen. It has been a while, but I may be able to help if you contact me or Mike Adams.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
may be able to take out the shims where the radiator surround meets the frame. this would allow the support to move in and let you get the corners over the lip. Be careful as the radiator core can also crack, but between a little inward movement of the support and a stretch of the bumper cover you may be able to get it on there.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, if people are still making the fascias that must be spread to install them like OEM, they should cast the fascia a little wide so when you actually go to fasten it, it would be perhaps 1/2" wider that it should be. Even 1/4" wider would be a big improvement.

It is amazing how easy the fascia goes on if there is no bumper or inner baffle. Since the radiator surround is narrower at the bottom, you simply lay the fascia on the floor and snap it on. With the fascia on the floor, the supports are about 1" narrower relative to fascia. Then you simply "rotate" it up into position.

Takes 30 seconds to get it into bolting position.

I think you could even accomplish this w/bumper attached to fascia, however baffle prevents bumper from going to a lower installation position.

I'm back in PA and can now spend countless hours thinking about how to improve this situation. I still think there may be a clever approach. I think the key is installing it low and rotating it up. Maybe some rework of the baffle to let it rotate too may be the trick. Of course the studs sticking out from the frame rails require the bumper to shifted forward to clear them.

If the studs could be replaced with bolts, then the bumper could slide over the front of the frame rails with the fascia snapped on. Some mods would be required to do this - especially to keep the front frame rail shims in place.

I really don't like the idea of grinding the edge flange off the radiator supports. That is a stiffener and I don't like removing stiffeners.