1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to jump start a Gen 1 Viper?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by John's 1995 Venom 550, Jan 3, 2006.

1. John's 1995 Venom 550

John's 1995 Venom 550 Enthusiast

My 1995 Viper is dead. I did have a battery tender on it, but I have it in storage without an electrical outlet this year. I know that the battery is behind one of the back tires, but where is the jump area in the engine bay. Can anyone tell me where to hook up the cables or is there a diagram/picture somewhere to look it up. I know it is probably really simple, but I don't want to guess and cause any problems.

Thanks in advance,

John

2. NOTV8

NOTV8 Viper Owner

You can jump it on the engine bay. Look for the positive terminal on the engine bay (should have red cap/cover) and the other clamp on any solid ground. Not sure where it is located on '95. Hope this help. Good luck.

3. santo

santo Viper Owner

Stealing Hisserman's pic, the postive and negative are where he has the battery tender hooked up. The top postive terminal is barely visable but it helps you find it just the same.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    Santo

4. IEATVETS

IEATVETS Enthusiast

How old is the battery? You may want to replace it. I have either been extremely lucky with all of my cars over the years or just dumb luck, but I have NEVER hooked up a tender or anything to any of my batteries and they all start every spring when I turn the key. Of course heated storage helps but regardless I must be one of the lucky ones.

5. trainville

trainville Enthusiast Venom Member

I've had the same issues with my '95. As everyone else said, CHANGE THE BATTERY! In the meantime, you can jump it via the connections under the hood.

Look at the picture above. You can't really see it, but at the top left, there is a black plastic hinged cover about 1" by 2" tall. I believe there's a battery icon embossed on it. Pull the cover and attach the positive cable there. Attach the negative to the useless threaded stud just below you, right above the exhaust cover. (It'll be the only bolt with nothing attached)

Other than requiring a LARGE battery to jump you, that oughta' work for now. I tried to jump mine with a Dodge Durango, but it wouldn't do it. I hooked up the Ford F350 and that managed to charge me up enough to start. Go order that battery,

6. cagleman

cagleman Enthusiast

and just as a further piece of advice, my Viper Tech recommends pulling the IOD fuse when storing the car for a fair length of time. This is the fuse that runs the interior lights, memory for the radio stations, clock, etc. (of course the only downside is havnig to reprogram the clock and radio)...but it could save a battery.

7. joe117

joe117 Enthusiast

"I tried to jump mine with a Dodge Durango, but it wouldn't do it. I hooked up the Ford F350 and that managed to charge me up enough to start."

I'm not sure why this would be true.

8. dansauto

dansauto Enthusiast

damn chryslers are real wierd when you have low voltage. I had mine just stall and not start. Could not even jump it with a truck. Newbattery cured it.

9. Leslie

Leslie Enthusiast

need to jump my viper too

should I connect the cables to the positive on the viper first, THEN the other car?

thanks

10. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

Go to the closest Zoo. Borrow a fully grown Mongoose. Bring it home and show it to the Viper and say these words: " Start or I turn the Mongoose loose."

11. V10SpeedLuvr

V10SpeedLuvr Enthusiast

I havent had to just start mine, but I dont see why it'd be any different than any other car. It doesnt matter which car you connect 1st, but be sure all connections (pos/neg on both) are tight before cranking car #2

12. Randy

Randy Viper Owner

The normal safety-minded method is to connect the jump cables to the dead car first, then to the live car, connection to the live car ground last - the only reason for this is the possibility of flammable vapors hanging around the dead car and the spark you almost always get with the final connection being farthest from possible sources of flammable material, I recall some mention of hydrogen from the dead battery being more likely (sounds far fetched to me). As the Viper battery is in a more (ahem) remote location from where you are jumping it, its probably not a major concern what order you connect in.

13. Leslie

Leslie Enthusiast

thanks guys I appreciate it!

14. RAHULK

RAHULK Enthusiast

Going through this RIGHT NOW! At work, car died. Waiting for AAA to jump.
    Put in brand new battery last night. There's something else going on here. Bad battery? loose connection? bad ground? Starter on it's way out? HELP!

15. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member Venom Member

Call me...317 402 9013