How to measure clearcoat thickness on a GTS?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a paint gauge? I guess it works on clear coat also:dunno:

Paint Meter, Paint Gauge, Paint Gage - HighLineMeter.com

Thickness- this can be checked with a paint thickness gauge. Bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 – 0.5 Milsof clear coat may cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference a sheet of Saran wrap measures 0.95 Mils. Most car manufacturers now specify that the paint thickness be measured in 0.1mil, or 1/1000th of an inch before and after any wet sanding or buffing. If only 0.4 mils of clear coat have been removed the integrity of the clear coat may have been compromised. The following are the maximum allowable clear coat reductions the major USA car manufacturers will allow: Chrysler – 0.5 mils; Ford – 0.3 mils; GM – 0.5 mils.

Paint thickness gauge - PosiTest DFT Combo; Measures paint on any metal; including steel and aluminium, a popular choice given many cars have both steel and aluminium. It automatically recognizes the material and takes a measurement-http://www.autopaintgage.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that doesn't work on a GTS because the body is not metal

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a paint gauge? I guess it works on clear coat also:dunno:

Paint Meter, Paint Gauge, Paint Gage - HighLineMeter.com

Thickness- this can be checked with a paint thickness gauge. Bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 – 0.5 Milsof clear coat may cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference a sheet of Saran wrap measures 0.95 Mils. Most car manufacturers now specify that the paint thickness be measured in 0.1mil, or 1/1000th of an inch before and after any wet sanding or buffing. If only 0.4 mils of clear coat have been removed the integrity of the clear coat may have been compromised. The following are the maximum allowable clear coat reductions the major USA car manufacturers will allow: Chrysler – 0.5 mils; Ford – 0.3 mils; GM – 0.5 mils.

Paint thickness gauge - PosiTest DFT Combo; Measures paint on any metal; including steel and aluminium, a popular choice given many cars have both steel and aluminium. It automatically recognizes the material and takes a measurement-http://www.autopaintgage.com/

Interesting info, thanks for posting. I'm contemplating wet sanding the door panels on my GenII due to the peel that is bothering me. I read in my owners manuals that its OK to wet sand the paint only once but it doesn't mention how much. I may look into a paint gauge to play it safe IF I decide to sand the paint.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that doesn't work on a GTS because the body is not metal

OK. So that's how these things take measurements? I wonder how they would work on plastic bumpers :dunno:. That particular gauge is a low-end. I think you can spend $500+. Surely there's a way to gauge paint/clear thickness on a Viper:confused:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a PosiTector 200 B/Adv as noted they are approx $2600. Unfortionatly they are not as easy to use as my PosiTest DFT ($700) which is for metal. I am pretty sure the PosiTector 200 B/Adv is the least expensive route you can take when it comes to composite, plastic or fiberglass.

Also the PosiTest DFT (for metal) can't give you indivual layers, just the total thickness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang