How to power shift?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the correct way to power shift Vipers? My fathers style is to hammer it in and somewhat drop the clutch so the rear tires try to break loose (he is accustomed to the 60's muscle cars).

I on the other hand, was under the impression that it was better to slip the clutch a slight bit as it is easier on the driveline (no shockload) and it gives slightly better performance as the motor does not bog as much.

Who is correct? :dunno:

Thanks!

Robert

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u are correct. breaking the tires loose shifting to any gear yields in a higher ET i wouldnt worry if your just barely chirping though

shift fast and keep the power to the ground

slamming through the gears breaking the tires loose is for movies

...and showing off (i'll admit) :)

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definition of a power shift when I was growing up: Pedal to the floor, no clutch, yank and throw. Speed shift: Same as above but use the clutch.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed shifting as I know it is just shifting really fast.

Power shifting is not lifting your right foot off the go pedal, and just shifting and pressing the clutch extremely fast.

Power shifting knocks off maybe .1 off your 1/4 mile time. It's not worth it IMO.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed shifting as I know it is just shifting really fast.
Power shifting is not lifting your right foot off the go pedal, and just shifting and pressing the clutch extremely fast. Power shifting knocks off maybe .1 off your 1/4 mile time. It's not worth it IMO.

Agreed but with one strong suggestion. Power shifting should not be done without a scatter shield. Back in the early sixties I remember seeing a young man, whose vehicle did not have a scatter shield, severely injure his legs when his clutch and flywheel let go on a power shift. It was not a pretty sight when they took him out of the car.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. My bad. It would appear that I am using the wrong term.:rolleyes: Thanks for the definition Walker and FATHERFORD.

Let me correct my previous question. What is the correct way to speedshift....:D ;)

Robert

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My suggestion is to avoid banging gears in the Viper. The old Muncie and Saganaw T-10 transmissions were able to handle the abuse to the shift forks. The Viper trans, as strong as it is, does not like to be banged between gears. I was told to shift the tranny as though the shifter was made of glass. Shift it like a road race car instead of drag car. I've abused plenty of T-10 and Muncie trans in my days, and know from experience, the T-56 doesn't like it.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a stand still (more then once), I've taken the rpms up to 1500, dropped the cluth and spinned tires a couple times before getting any traction but the car still bogged.

Other time from a stand still, I took the rpms up to 2k slipped the cluth at about 18-1900 rpms and launch very well.

So I would say from my experience, which is limited, working the rpms up to a moderate rpm range then slipping the cluth to the point were you control the power and tire spin and once good traction is felt then drop. Action should take less then a second or quicker for better drivers. I am not saying this is right but its how I've launched well before so take it with a grain of salt.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion is to avoid banging gears in the Viper. The old Muncie and Saganaw T-10 transmissions were able to handle the abuse to the shift forks. The Viper trans, as strong as it is, does not like to be banged between gears. I was told to shift the tranny as though the shifter was made of glass. Shift it like a road race car instead of drag car. I've abused plenty of T-10 and Muncie trans in my days, and know from experience, the T-56 doesn't like it.

Hey Revived gearhead, can you elaborate on "shift like a racecar". More detail please. I am still learning and dont want to drop 5k to replace my trans because of poor shifts.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The old Muncie and T-10 transmissions in the early Camaros and Chevelles would stand up to shifting the gears while holding the throttle to the floor and forcefully yank the shifter into the next gear. You still needed to use the clutch, but never lifted the throttle. By shifting the Viper trans like a roadrace car, I mean lift the throttle and gently shift to the next gear. There's no need to bang the shifter into the next gear with the torque and HP of the Viper. There is no positive stop to prevent you from bending the shifting forks inside the transmission. Shift it like your shifter is made from a piece of crystal, and your trans will last a long time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang