HP/Weight Ratio to be limited by the government?

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard a few people talking about this in the last few months, then my wife read an article in autoweek(I think) that said the government was goinig to step in and put a limit on the HP of cars.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this? Any idea as to when they may make this happen, if it will happen at all etc? Really would like more info on this.

I love performance cars and I personally can never have enough HP, but I really can't disagree if this were to happen. When you have Escalades running mid 14's and civics running 13's the average public can't handle it.

What does this mean for the future of the Viper and other cars like it? Next Viper could be the fastest production viper ever. Would be interesting!

Jason

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with putting a limit on it. Japan has a HP limit, and it's like ~290hp or some lame crap like that. So no ferrari's, no vipers, no lambo's, etc. That would **** big time.

But perhaps there should be some sort of tier system, where a 13 sec can't be less than a certain price, 12 sec car can't be less than a bigger price etc. It might help prevent all the SRT-4 and civic accidents that are caused by young kids looking for a cheap quick ride.

But in the end I'm not sure any of it would truly work, since people will illegally mod their cars anyway.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While possible, I hope not.

The government hasn't limited the power to weight ratios on motorcycles which have higher ratios and are obviously much more hazardous to their operators.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that price is relative, plus cars can be purchased used.

At least with modifications, you have an individual that is use to the performance of their current car and should be able to take more caution and have more respect for the car. 290hp limit is crazy. :(

Jason

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with putting a limit on it. Japan has a HP limit, and it's like ~290hp or some lame crap like that. So no ferrari's, no vipers, no lambo's, etc. That would **** big time.

But perhaps there should be some sort of tier system, where a 13 sec can't be less than a certain price, 12 sec car can't be less than a bigger price etc. It might help prevent all the SRT-4 and civic accidents that are caused by young kids looking for a cheap quick ride.

But in the end I'm not sure any of it would truly work, since people will illegally mod their cars anyway.

I think there is a Viper club in Japan.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wouldn't affect the aftermarket, just new car makers. What would the limit be, if they were serious about doing this? Could the C6Z06 add ballast and meet the target? Let's name some of the best power to weight ratio cars:

Z06
911 turbo?
Lotus Elise?
Saleen S7
Ferrari F430
Lambo Gallardo?

If we assumed a stupid limit, let's say 7 lbs per horsepower.

The SRT-10 would need (approx) to add 120lbs ballast

The Z06 would need (approx) to add 335lbs ballast

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Japan had an agreement among it's own manufacturers that they would limit what they produced in country, something around 300 or a little under. Not sure if it is still in effect or not, but I do not believe they limited imports to that number and there is a Viper population and chapter in Japan so that would seem to affirm that it did not apply to cars imported into Japan.
And there has been no mention in any news outlet that our government is contemplating such action.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Its a good story to help the remaining SRT stock move, before the 08 comes out! (wink!)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so many voters in our country still so much in love with NASCAR, drag racing, road racing,and drifting,and with the big three domestic car manufacturers currently experiencing financial difficulties, I seriously doubt that such a limitation will occur. However, I would not be surprised to see the enactment of a speed/ HP tax on newly acquired streetable performance vehicles, like the gas guzzler tax; and, certain nanny tech safety equipment mandated at some point in the future such as traction contol and stability control. If Uncle does get into the HP/Weight game, there is only one thing to do - start eating my fiends! LOL. The foregoing is just my personal opinion and is pure speculation.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Germans have a 'gentlemens' agreement to limit the top speed to 250kph or 155 mph. There isn't a law (as far as I know) it's only the companies agreeing to this. In most cases you can order your car without the limiter. Even on the Autobahn, cruising along at 180mph for an extended time can be deadly. You never know when someone from another country, who doesn't fully understand the danger, pulls into the passing lane at 100 without taking a GOOD look. I recently watched an M5 do a full anti-lock from 160+ (I was doing 140) when a 3 series pulled out. Ever see smoke rolling off the tires as they lock and unlock at those speeds?! Wish I had a video camera.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Money certainly doesn't enhance ones ability to drive, I know a lot of people that can afford a 10 second car, but shouldn't be allowed to leave the driveway

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the Japan thing (which started in 1989), it was a gentlemen's agreement to keep horsepower no more than 276. It was not government regulated, and not always followed, but advertised as though they did. It's no secret that Mitsubishi Lancer Evos, Subaru Impreza WRXs, and Nissan 300ZX twin-turbos have been in violation of the agreement for years, but at least in Japan, they all claimed to have 276 horsepower. The false advertising was ignored for the sake of harmony. Not anymore.

The NSX will return with more than 400 horsepower.

As for the "people can't handle the power thing"...can you imagine letting a person who is familiar with driving a Model-T, drive a huge 150 horsepower car..."OOOOhhhh my God, Ethel, these new cars are too fast".

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, are we saying that IF the gov't sets up the power to weight rule, the car companies will cheat the system? They can't lower the hp anymore (SAE's new test procedures) so would they fudge the weight? Doesn't sound possible.

If it becomes a gentlemens agreement, wouldn't that lead to a lot of finger pointing?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. What we are saying is if a company wants to build a 600hp car then a company should be able to build it.

And if a person wants to buy a 600hp car then he should be able to buy it.

In summary, Uncle Sam keep out!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. What we are saying is if a company wants to build a 600hp car then a company should be able to build it.

And if a person wants to buy a 600hp car then he should be able to buy it.

In summary, Uncle Sam keep out!

Absolutely correct Chuck! As an American :usa: I should be able to buy a car with 10 HP or 1000 HP. This is America :usa: and we have had enough of our freedoms taken away.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't say the Government "can't or will never" do a HP restriction. Look what happened to Muscle cars in the 70's. If we elect enough "granola cruchers" we could be riding bicycles or 10hp electric cars. WE need to make sure the people elected are car nuts, streetrodders, hotrodders and hobbiests in order to keep what we have. The insurance companies were the first to cut down on Muscle in the 70's. They offered insurance but no one could afford it.