Huge safety issue

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uncovered a very dangerous condition with the door locks. I decided to check out my door electrical because of the battery drain and found a flimsy link was sitting by the enclosure as I removed the speaker. Found that it had fatigued off the door handle which mechanically opens the door when you climb out. That cable is just like ones you find on lawnmowers but looks even smaller.
Here's a simple test. Drop the window, close the door, disconnect the battery and then attempt to open the door with the inside handle. It is more dramatic if you're inside and someone else yanks the battery cable off! Can you say "toast" if this condition occurred in an accident? I may have missed something so I am open to the "full of xxxx" label.
Max

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You are correct, there is a mechanical backup cable attached to the door handle that is supposed to open the door in case of a power outage emergency. You might be able to notice that the inside handle has two "levels" of pull. The first bit of travel is fairly easy and actuates the switch to pop the doors, past that the effort goes up a bit as the cable grabs. I used to pull the handle all the way whenever I opened the door, but have since just started lightly pulling out with a finger and not engaging the cable. Probably a good thing to keep in mind as it would limit any wear and tear to a critical safety feature.

You may or may not have read about a similar even recently where an older gentleman passed away in a Corvette because of a similar feature. A wire had disconnected after he got in and he couldn't find the emergency cable release (different location in a Vette).

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While trying to get my window drop to relearn(which still isn't working...) I found kinda the same thing. I did something to put the car in security mode and the doors would not open with me sitting inside. I was in my shop with the top down, but what if this happened during a crash and the top up and the doors wouldn't open??!! Now that you posted this, I remember my door would not open even if I pulled the handle all the way out! I thought this was just a feature of the car. Maybe I have a problem with my cable adjustment and need to have it corrected while the car is in the shop getting a new tranny.

The other thing this does is makes me realize I need to learn the safety features prior to needing them. I have read the manual and before reading this post had the mindset that "I know how to get out of my car, idiot", but this brings a dose of reality that I may not know as much as I thought! I guess I also need to show my wife in the rare event she is driving the car...:rolleyes:

Great catch!!! Everyone gets complacent and thinks "that won't happen to me". Sometimes we need to speak up like you did and get people back in check! No "full of xxxx" label from me....thanks!

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is, I suspect that this mechanical is a common design and likely an issue with other makes. The failure of the Corvette was the owner's fault for failure to learn the feature. In this design the operator does not need to know that. It is a failsafe, but it fails and when needed you're screwd!
I still haven't figured out why the outside lock only pops the door when I fully depress it. The switch is a simple push button and does the job as confirmed by an ohmmeter. Anyone know if this is a BCM program issue?

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" I remember my door would not open even if I pulled the handle all the way out! I thought this was just a feature of the car. Maybe I have a problem with my cable adjustment and need to have it corrected while the car is in the shop getting a new tranny."

The cable has no adjustment. It locks into a slot on both handle assemblies. Your cable has failed. I repaired mine in place, your mechanic will need to get a complete cable. I've made the decision to submit this to NHTSA on the presumption that this is likely common to other makes and models. Maybe with exception to taxis, the driver door is always going to be the failure.