Hurricane Sandy

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a damn good one though! This detail nerd usually spots these kind of things right away but after some more time of looking at the pic the splashing water looks a bit un-natural.[/QUOTE
I would have never known if I wouldn't have read it. Is there anyway to tell usually when a pic has been Photoshopped, is there usually some lil' something (like you said about the splashing) that won't be right in the pic that would give it away or is some of them impossible to tell.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Long Island was hit hard. LIPA is stating that we should expect a minimum of 7 - 10 days without power. 90 % of LIPA customers are without power as of Tuesday night. I have never seen anything like this before. Houses smashed by huge trees everywhere on the North Shore. No cell service as well (very few cell towers have power). At least I and my family (AND the snake) are safe.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long Island was hit hard. LIPA is stating that we should expect a minimum of 7 - 10 days without power. 90 % of LIPA customers are without power as of Tuesday night. I have never seen anything like this before. Houses smashed by huge trees everywhere on the North Shore. No cell service as well (very few cell towers have power). At least I and my family (AND the snake) are safe.
Yet they're STILL planning on running the New York City Marathon?

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for a large Power Utility here in Ontario ,Canada . And our staff where asked to help out Conn Edison Mitigate thier issue's .

God speed to NYC recovery .

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently they are refusing to refund peoples payments too.
Yeah, I saw that too where they were saying that returning the payments wasn't the norm in most cases so I kinda take it they're just letting them know upfront because they probably won't be returning it this year either! I think it said somewhere that this race brings in around 300+ mill for the city, so I guess thats why they're saying the show must go on!
But, hell most of the runners won't even be able to get there whether its by plane, transist, or whatever (to me it seems like everything would still be shut down). And you would think most people have other things to worry about other than this damn race!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get out of town just before they closed all the bridges and tunnels and made it up to my in-law's house in Westchester with a big back-up generator to ride out the storm. Our building in Hoboken is right on the Hudson River and became part of the River/Atlantic Ocean last night. Taped windows before we left as we are on the 7th floor and facing the water, but also had to leave my new Viper behind, although she is on the 3rd floor tucked away in a very sheltered corned of the garage with the cover on, so it should be ok. Last I heard from friends and family this morning that live in Hoboken and stayed there last night was that the whole town was basically destroyed and I don't know if I have a home to come back to if my windows blew out of shattered from the 90+ mph winds. Won't be able to get home for several days from what it sounds like to see how things are..... Hope everyone else that was affected by Sandy is ok!

Sorry to read this post. It is only a car if it is damaged. Others are not so lucky. Good move on getting out.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My power is out there telling me 8 days. My neighbor hood looks like a war zone trees down everywhere. I like right on the lake in a neighborhood with nothing but trees. Guess that's why they call it Timberlake

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from a successful gas run. Filled the Jeep and my cans. People are out like vampires looking for gas. It ***** that you can't siphon gas from the newer cars. Of course I put my GTS up on the lift with an 1/8 of a tank after the Pocono fall cruise. Not sure if you can siphon from that anyway ?

I still have no power and cable but the cell service looks to be back so I set up a hot spot. My landscaper will be here on my 8 acres for days with his chainsaws, chipper and back ***.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just giving you an update. The power has finally returned at my home. It took 5 days as it went out at 8 PM EST on Monday. (And I'll always remember it too cause I had just sat down to watch wrestling.)

My house is bone dry, lucked out big time. The worst I had was broken bits of leaves everywhere. When I woke Tuesday, I found the car in the driveway COVERED in leaves as if I just pulled into victory lane after the Daytona 500.

Gas, as others have said, has become a stupid hot item with gas lines ranging from 2-3 hours long, however, deliveries are being made so there is somewhat of a balance. Trees are thrown everywhere in Rahway, probably the worst town I've seen to date. Perth Amboy has been cut off after dark since it's been so heavily damaged.

And yes, I've worked everyday this week except Tuesday despite working in a very cold warehouse for 5-8 hours since there is no power in Linden. We have been making oxygen tank deliveries non-stop to keep those people and patients alive that require it but we are running low each day. I've tried to remain positive about the situation, not eveything is perfect but at least someone can breathe a little easier.

I'll have pics tomorrow of what's happened.

--RS

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to read this post. It is only a car if it is damaged. Others are not so lucky. Good move on getting out.

Not sure if I read your response correctly, but I was definitely not just concerned about my car..... I was finally able to return home to Hoboken today and we still don't have power. I found my car completely intact and was even happier to find our apartment intact. Somehow our windows that always seemed so flimsy in 20 mph winds held up to 90+ mph hurricane winds! I feel very lucky especially after walking around town to find that upwards of 75% of the town is completely destroyed by wind or water damage, or is still under water, or is covered in mud. I have to say that this "mud" isn't really mud as we know it. It is a fine brew of raw sewage (human feces), salt water, and a mixture of oil and gas. This "mud" was up to a foot deep on some streets in town and a mere coating on others, but it also filled countless people's basements and ground floor stores and apartments in town. The national guard set up camp near my building and are doing a great job rescuing people and clearing roadways. I was moved by how many people I met today helping each other and doing real good just because. Reminded me of how everyone came together on 9/11 so many years ago now...

So now I'm back up at my in-law's house until power comes back on, and going to take the train into the city tomorrow to go to work. Need a nice long break from my in-laws as it's been too much togetherness for me at this point..... Haha!

Hope everyone else is doing well and steering to get back to some degree of normalcy.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our Prayers are with Ya'll Guys! I can't imagine what all the surroundings around you look like, just hang in there & keep the faith & everything will work out. And especially Good Luck with your insurance companies!

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most of Long Island still without power. The major roads that have shopping centers seem to be online now. The gas situation is a bit crazy. They have to get power to the remaining stations so they can pump gas to the consumers. The LI Gasoline Retailers Association stated that they only have around 30% of their stations open. The lines are insane and everyone is getting testy. Just heard that a Noreaster may give us a vist next Tuesday/Wednesday. What a mess but in the big picture it's just an inconvenience to most. Good luck to everone affected.

Oilman1934

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks doin ok still no power in Valhalla got my Honda purring along but this is getting old glad my fam house and viper are all safe Ed if you need help I own Maio fuel co just let me know us Westchester people got to stick together

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No power, no cell service and no gas here north shore Long Island.
Day 6.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how are you coping? What about Drinking water and dare I ask, sanitation? Are you making log fires out of all the broken timber? is food getting in to needed areas?

is there a disaster fund set up people could contribute to to help others? Looking at the news there are many areas that looked like that Japan Tsunami!

Surely many people have lost there Jobs as a result of the flooding and building damage.

Have to say I feel helpless sitting here in the UK, wish there was something I could do to help :(

Out of interest, how did the Intrepid AIr and Space museum hold up in the hurricane? Did they clear the deck of the planes?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4