I finally got my Viper back!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in my single turbo 40th Anniversary 370Z in April for a 2006 SRT-10 Coupe in April.

The first weekend I had the car, I installed a K&N intake. A day before what I'm about to say, I installed some KW V2 coilovers, changed the diff/transmission fluid for some Mobil 1 synthetic, and had the car aligned. In June (just 1,200 miles later), my motor spun 2 rod bearings. After a longgg wait, I was finally able to pick up the car Friday! The motor was built by Nelson Competition. I just did an OEM rebuild, but with a few tweaks (their mod for extra lubrication to the crank, ARP head studs, Clevite main/rod bearings, cosmetic headgasket). With the money I saved over doing a full heads/cam build, I ended up buying some Modulare Forged wheels (19"/20") and Belanger headers during the build. I also upgraded to the Woodhouse motor/transmission mounts, new battery, new OEM clutch, had the flywheel resurfaced, and added some black Viper decals to the calipers.

I've put about 300 miles on it so far and have kept the RPMS under 3500. I plan to do a 500 mile breakin before starting to open it up. The only problem I had was having the Belanger headers installed. I bought the car with cat deletes, Mopar mufflers, but with the OEM rear crossover piping :mad: Whomever did the work did some welding, so the headers will not mate up to the exhaust. I'm taking it to my exhaust guy as soon as posisble to get the headers on and get rid of the OEM crossover piping. I'd like to tune the car afterwards and then finally enjoy it:headbang:

Here are some pictures that were taken this weekend
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Sounds like you did it up right. Looks absolutely fantastic! Big fan of the wheels! :2tu:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on getting it back together. And your car looks VERY nice. Simple and clean but aggressive.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice car and color palette, but I'm biased.

dvhavoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badass car man! Can't wait to have mine back on wednesday. Will post pics

OP
OP

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone! Even shifting at 3k rpms, it sure beats driving my daily ****** Taurus.

looks good. Where in FL do you live?
I live in Clearwater, near Tampa. I wish I lived closer to you though...I'd love to see a VVV in person. That's my favorite color.

nspec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
man that combination looks so sick! I wish i had gotten a black one too. but previously owning a triple black Z06, I couldnt deal with black any more.

you need my wheels blacked out!

this was my Z06

Last edited:
OP
OP

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 weeks and 600 miles later, the motor spun another rod bearing Saturday night. All my aftermarket parts (KWs, wheels/tires, K&N intake, Belanger headers) will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

The last picutre (and only picture) I took of the car since I got it back...Friday night.

OP
OP

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting... The shop just admitted to only putting in 9qts of Valvoline 20w50 VR1, but isn't the oil capacity 10.4qts? And to add to the irony, only 7qts were drained after only 600 miles when I changed the oil Friday night. The car never smoked and there were no leaks.

As of now, it seems like both Nelson Competition and Elite Automotive are willing to cooperate. Nelson Comp said they would tear down the motor and diagnose. Elite Auto said they'd pull he motor if need be. I just need to get it all in writing to cover my ass...I don't think I should pay another penny.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely don't pay a dime for this, when my Z06 blew up 500 miles after a motor rebuild, the shop covered all the expenses and gave me one of their shop corvettes to drive around until my car was done.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 weeks and 600 miles later, the motor spun another rod bearing Saturday night. All my aftermarket parts (KWs, wheels/tires, K&N intake, Belanger headers) will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

The last picutre (and only picture) I took of the car since I got it back...Friday night.

Give me a price on your wheel set up. Thanks

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this Ryan. Hope everything works out for you.

This is interesting... The shop just admitted to only putting in 9qts of Valvoline 20w50 VR1, but isn't the oil capacity 10.4qts? And to add to the irony, only 7qts were drained after only 600 miles when I changed the oil Friday night. The car never smoked and there were no leaks.

As of now, it seems like both Nelson Competition and Elite Automotive are willing to cooperate. Nelson Comp said they would tear down the motor and diagnose. Elite Auto said they'd pull he motor if need be. I just need to get it all in writing to cover my ass...I don't think I should pay another penny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave