I hate wheel hop

Reaction score
There are a few things that can be done, I assume we are talking Gen3? If so then there are shocks/springs, Quaife or Gilkin diffs, and tire swaps that can help. I like the shocks the best. You can also install one of our Racelogic traction controls that will eliminate the hop also.

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few things that can be done, I assume we are talking Gen3? If so then there are shocks/springs, Quaife or Gilkin diffs, and tire swaps that can help. I like the shocks the best. You can also install one of our Racelogic traction controls that will eliminate the hop also.

Thanks Mark, mine is a 97 GTS. Which tire swap works the best? I put on new Michelins ( 18" wheels)but doesn't seem to help. ( maybe you are refering to ditching the runflats on the newer models.)
The strange thing is that now with colder weather and cold roads, the problem is the same.
I think I remember some were posting about new designed engine and trans mounts that you sell, but you don't mention the mounts in your post above.

So I guess I'm looking at new springs and shocks?

Wheel hop..ya gotta hate it:(

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, mine is a 97 GTS. Which tire swap works the best? I put on new Michelins ( 18" wheels)but doesn't seem to help. ( maybe you are refering to ditching the runflats on the newer models.)
The strange thing is that now with colder weather and cold roads, the problem is the same.
I think I remember some were posting about new designed engine and trans mounts that you sell, but you don't mention the mounts in your post above.

So I guess I'm looking at new springs and shocks?

Wheel hop..ya gotta hate it:(

Yep, my bad I should have mentioned these 1st! They will stop all the winding up of the drivetrain. Thanks Dave

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I've got Woodhouse Engine Mounts, PS2's, and 3.55's on/in my '06 Coupe.

Wheelhop has not been eliminated, but it has been reduced.:2tu:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 gears would probably increase wheelhop, since your engine rpm will be higher and producing more power at any given wheel speed.

I'm not sure how engine mounts affect wheelhop on an independent rear axle car. There are no rigid joints between the engine and differential, and the two wheel axles are floating too. How does a twisting engine transmit twist through a rotating driveshaft with u-joints on it? Most of the older cars with solid axles start to wheel hop due to rear axle twist, and suspension unloading.

Usually better traction via tires makes the most improvement. If you are still running run-flat tires, that is your primary problem. Better shocks will also dampen the oscillations that turn into wheelhop.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An easy (and fun) evaluation is to go down 5 psi, then up 5 psi in the tire pressure. Which way is better will help you figure out if you need softer or harder settings on the shocks. Even the OEM shocks are adjustable (just a pain to do.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang