I I need help with a car hauler

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1991 Dodge one ton car hauler with a Cummings turbo. I was told by the guy I purchased it from that he never hauled a Viper however hauled lots of Vettes. When I brought it home I discovered that my 01 GTS does not ever come close to going on. Who can I talk to who might be able to help me. I realize I'm going to have to do some major modifications but could use some advice.

OP
OP
V

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car hauler is a professtionally built commercial unit used by dealers and repo men. It has a 80' full size bed with a winch and the flat bed goes into a dove tail and then it has 6 foot ramps. I have two problems, 1st ~ my tires are 2 feet away from the ramps when my front facia meets the ramps.... and, 2nd ~ the problem is where the dove tail meets the flat bed. If anyone knows this unit please holler at me.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car hauler is a professtionally built commercial unit used by dealers and repo men. It has a 80' full size bed with a winch and the flat bed goes into a dove tail and then it has 6 foot ramps. I have two problems, 1st ~ my tires are 2 feet away from the ramps when my front facia meets the ramps.... and, 2nd ~ the problem is where the dove tail meets the flat bed. If anyone knows this unit please holler at me.

Ron, I think you could certainly extend the length of the ramps and use a series of wood 2 X 10's to shim the exact heights you would need for various levels of clearance. If the ramps are long enough, you should be able to drive right on.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cut up some various length 2x12's. Use those to get the vehicle's front wheels evelvated some before going into the trailer. You would not believe some of the wood ramp constructions I see people using at the Viper days events to get the cars in/out of the trailers. Enough wood is used to make a decent homeless shelter.