I need new steering rack.

Sigmund

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pleas help me.

I need new steering rack with tie rod end.

I`m from Norway and here they don`t know what a good price is, the price for this item in Norway is 2600Euro or 3300$

My car. 97 Dodge Viper GTS. VIN 1C3ERC9E7VV300192

I find this item, but?? Car *****

Pics-->
You must be registered for see images attach

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you need is an inner tie rod, you have some options. I did this to my '94 several years ago.

Moog part number EV 252 is an inner tie rod for a 1992-1996 two-wheel drive Dakota truck. They cost $40-$45 and I've added this particular link only because it has a picture with it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C55Y0O/yahoo-auto-20/ref=nosim

The threaded end of the Dakota part is 1.5" too long. Cutting off the excess length is as straightforward as it sounds. Because the Viper outer tie rod and locking nut must screw onto the new inner tie rod, you may have to use a die to run threads further down the shaft because you've cut off part of the threaded section. This depends somewhat on the manufacturer of the tie rod as to whether they coincidentally had a longer threaded section or not. The thread size is 15mm x 1.5, and you can purchase this die for about $15. The die handle, if you don't have one, is also about $15.

While you are doing this, you'll want to replace the rubber boot over the inner tie rod with Moog part number K7186. http://info.rockauto.com/Moog/Detail.html?K7186_TOP.jpg

Since I did this to my car long ago, a company called Snake Oyl now markets an inner tie rod in their catalog for $159.95. The exact page is http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17841&cat=341&page=1

If you are racing, have some other owners with the same issue, or want to do both sides, it may make sense to purchase the parts and tools to "make" many. If it's more likely to be a one-time repair, then the Snake Oyl part is the quickest way to proceed.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Sigmund,
If Tom's suggestions don't work for you? You can get a complete steering rack w/tie-rods from DC.
#4709489 MSRP $824.00 less 20% + shipping. :cool:
You can call me or e-mail me, I ship parts to Europe at least once a week.
914-763-3136

OP
OP
S

Sigmund

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Sigmund,
If Tom's suggestions don't work for you? You can get a complete steering rack w/tie-rods from DC.
#4709489 MSRP $824.00 less 20% + shipping. :cool:
You can call me or e-mail me, I ship parts to Europe at least once a week.
914-763-3136

When can i call you? Time her is 23:42, sunday eavning.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just currious, what symptoms are you expierincing? i thought i needed a rack, replaced it + aluminum rack bushings. I ended up needing control arm bushings which is where most of the play in the steering was coming from