I raced a Carrera GT this morning

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was like I was on another planet....In Tampa I was on Dale Mabry Hwy about 7:30 am this morning and along side comes the awesome black space ship looking thing w/ the top down and a big fin on the back. I saw the Carrera GT emblem on the back and two big humps in the engine compartment. He looked my newly waxed Viper over as if the say, "look at this pal". I was in awe.

Anyway after the light changed and we both started out a bit slow all hell broke loose in early second gear. His Carrrera launched like it had a rocket in the rear but was not as loud as I expected. I hit it real hard also, and though I never caught him he did pull away, but just a little bit....it could have been b/c he hit it first and got the jump. It all happened sooooo fast and we were up into the 100's in just seconds. I think when he turned off to the MacDonalds he was a bit taken that he didn't blow the doors off a Viper.

Not bad for 85k vs. 440k (I think that's what they cost). Wish I had pictures to
show but if I did it would all be a blur b/c everything happened so fast.
What a way to start the day off!!!

In Tampa and still "shak'in".....Mike

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you lucky dog that had to be a blast. now that you know he's around find him
to even the score :2tu:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, rare to hear about exotics around here....although I'm in pinellas, most of the cars fit the retired "profile". I do see about 1 viper a month on average, but other than that just a bunch of Minis and vettes.

OP
OP
M

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, it was in front of Sam's, you know where that is. And Cops, Ahhhh...yes I know but but the excitement was there and I could not turn the chance down. I just wish I had a camera.

I can only image what the folks behind us were thinking....
two nuts in awesome black cars getting it on over 100 mph
w/i just a few blocks but it was early so the traffic on Saturday was not bad for that time.

"Viper D", you would have blown him away.....I did okay w/
just a stock SRT-10 and he got the early jump.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No turbo. The Carrera GT has an NA V-10 rated at 604 bhp and 435 tque, 8400 rpm redline, and weighs 3000 pounds.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No turbo. The Carrera GT has an NA V-10 rated at 604 bhp and 435 tque, 8400 rpm redline, and weighs 3000 pounds.

So it about 513 rwhp thats not to impressive for that much cash.

vd..

It aint all about hp. If it was, we'd all drive modded Fbodies!

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a big Porsche fan, but that GT is a pretty wild ride. Carbon fiber frame is it not? Anyone know the power to weight ratio of that car compared to SRT?

That is definately a race that I wish I was in. Tough to decide which car.

Jeff

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same kind o4 Porsche Jessie James drives on Monster Garage? I4 it is, THAT CAR IS SICK.. I would have loved to race him in my 98 ;) :)

G

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you imagine how the gentlemans day, week and year would have been ruined if that had been a Heffner or Levin car. I just salivate at the thought. Props to you for taking the shot at him. Sounds like you did just fine!

OP
OP
M

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Race: Finally, (East Coast) the day is over and I keep re-thinking the race, he was about 1-1/4 car lengths ahead of me when we took off and about 1000 ft later it was about the same distance because he looked back at me when he turned into MacDonalds. I can still remember his face as having a surprised expression like, "what's he still doing here"? If he pulled on me it was very little and he knew it!
The Beast made us proud.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw one in Sonoma a few months ago. Looks like a streched boxster. Impressive weight and brakes but for the price I would want something that looks good....

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw one today at the dealership in red. it looks amazing. they say there not going to make them anymore in the USA. but there still going to make them in europe

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Pano they took one to Talladega, Leno's car,
and turned in an average lap speed of 196.301 mph.

Herc :usa:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys act like a stock SRT-10 actually has a chance against the GT. Amazing.

Has a chance BEATING the GT? I don't think so. I don't think anyone else here think so either stock for stock. But it sure did keep up and hold it's own. Just like if a stock ricer were able to keep up with a Viper, it would be impressive, but nobody would expect it to win.

It's amazing the people who hate Vipers still hang out here... I don't troll the ricer sites. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Travis you are right....why would a stock SRT-10 for 85K even have a chance against a 440k Carrera. All I can say is I was proud of the way the "stock SRT-10" held it's own.
It was not blown away as I'm sure you or the Carrera guy expected it to be. He looked back and I was still there and about the same place I was when we both took off.
Maybe he was only 3/4, I don't know, but the doors on the Viper were still attached and it was a great way to start the day off.

By the way, I was at the Reeves BMW/Porsche dealership here in Tampa late today and a couple of the guys were closing up
all the outside storage areas b/c the hurricane is coming. I asked about the car and they said it's a 2005 and it belongs to one of the new Trump Tower guys here in Tampa.
It's the only black one they know of in this area.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

vd..

WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN MONEY, LOOKS, AND ALL THE OTHER BS GOES AWAY.

HORSEPOWER IS HORSEPOWER FBODY, TT STANG OR EVEN 750 HP STI'S

VD..

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vd..

VD..

All true.

btw... times sure have changed that a guy has no problems with using "VD" as his initials. :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Travis you are right....why would a stock SRT-10 for 85K even have a chance against a 440k Carrera. All I can say is I was proud of the way the "stock SRT-10" held it's own.
It was not blown away as I'm sure you or the Carrera guy expected it to be. He looked back and I was still there and about the same place I was when we both took off.
Maybe he was only 3/4, I don't know, but the doors on the Viper were still attached and it was a great way to start the day off.

By the way, I was at the Reeves BMW/Porsche dealership here in Tampa late today and a couple of the guys were closing up
all the outside storage areas b/c the hurricane is coming. I asked about the car and they said it's a 2005 and it belongs to one of the new Trump Tower guys here in Tampa.
It's the only black one they know of in this area.

Stay safe in the hurricane! Live to race the GT again! :2tu:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

vd..

VD..

All true.

btw... times sure have changed that a guy has no problems with using "VD" as his initials. :D

vd.. its catchy ;) ;) ;) :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery