If there was a Viper Hall of Fame

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the news of Ralph Gilles hopefully being the savior of Viper, I was reminded of my business trip last Sunday back from Germany where I contemplated who might be in the 1st or 2nd year class of the Viper Hall of Fame should there ever be one.

My picks in no particular order are as follows:

1.Bob Lutz
2.Tom Gale
3.Francois Castaing
4.Roy Sjoberg
5.Herb Helbig
6.Bob Woodhouse
7.Maurice Liang
8.John Gastman
9.Jon Brobst
10.All Prezs and VCA Officers over the years who have freely given of their time

Others considered--Carroll Shelby, Chuck Tator, Lee Iacocca, John Hennessey (take it easy).:)

I am SURE I missed some obvious choices but it was a long flight and a lot of alcohol in Business Class. I welcome disagreement as long as no one takes shots at candidates. Let's keep it interesting and civil.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there already a Hall of Fame? I thought I read that in VM recently? :dunno:

V

Venomiss

Guess you didn't attend the last VOI?
All those who made the Viper Hall of Fame were there and were recognized.
museumvoi1.jpg

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are listed on the Dodge Viper Historical Society website:

Maurice Liang
Tom Gale
Ron Smith
Steve Ferguson
Francois Castaing
John Thompson
Tony Estes
Roy Sjoberg
Bob Woodhouse
Gary Lashinsky
Herb Helbig

Are these correct? Any others?

Great list. Well I had 5 of 10 anyway. Curious how Lutz (I am obviously partial) could miss any list. This looks more like a lifetime acheivment award which is fair.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list. Well I had 5 of 10 anyway. Curious how Lutz (I am obviously partial) could miss any list. This looks more like a lifetime acheivment award which is fair.
Actually, we talked to Bob at the time with the offer/suggestion to include him in the inaugural Hall of Fame. He was flattered of course, however his position at GM made it virtually impossible to attend the awards dinner where Chrysler execs were in abundance. I believe all but Francois were in attendance and graciously accepted their awards. Bob respectfully asked that we hold off any possible nomination until after his retirement - a request we were more than happy to oblige.

As was noted earlier, we take a number of factors into consideration during the nomination and voting process. Key among them is selfless dedication to the club for VCA nominations, and their dedication to the Viper platform in the case of the manufacturer. Like the Pete Rose analogy, we must also consider those things that were less than favorable towards the club, its members, or the platform itself. So while someone may have shined brightly in so many other ways, they may not be able to overcome other actions that had a negative impact on the VCA (or VCA member) history.

We will start the process again for VOI 11, albeit with a much smaller group now that the inaugural has been established. Should be another great bunch of folks!

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PMUM ...

1st Speed GT race win in a Comp Coupe (in his 2nd - and last - pro race). Multiple wins cracking wise on this very site.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recommend the SRT engineers that accomplished the ACR Ring record.

I also recommend Greg Phillips who used his STOCK ACR to beat the street tired Race City Track record (previously held by a 1000hp Lambo G.) lap time. Another display of the excellence of the ACR platform.

http://forums.viperclub.org/canada-western/630449-lap-time-im-so-freakn-happy.html

I get tired of all the people that think the Viper is just another supercar. The Ring record and Greg's track record prove the Viper is the fastest Road car. The ACR will take on cars costing ten times as much and those cars had better be comfy on the street because it's becoming obvious that they don't work the best on the track.
Ted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery