IL viper club at Autobahn CC july 23rd. gonna be hot!! ugh how to keep engine cool??

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So...forecast says 100 degrees on monday. My car runs hot on a 85 degree day at the track. what the heck are we supposed to do to keep things cool on a 100degree day? I installed 2 pusher fans last night, but I doubt thats going to help much.
How hot does your car run on the track? What do you do to keep in running cool as possible? last month at Blackhawk I was in the 235 degree range. car ran like crap because the ECU pulled a bunch of timing. dreading monday....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: IL viper club at Autobahn CC july 23rd. gonna be hot!! ugh how to keep engine coo

Earlier gens ran hot at the track if drivers kept the revs up. Racing a Viper is as much about heat management for engine and brakes as about flogging them as hard as you can.

If you keep the revs down, they usually run much cooler. Give your car a breather down the longer straights by shifting up a gear, and get as much air to the brakes as possible.

For hot days they usually run cool enough on the street as to not be a problem.

The interiors also run hot, as the AC does not flow enough air, and the side pipes really heat things up. Always park in the shade when available.

For later model Vipers (Gen III-IV they seem to have sorted all this out, so you often need to turn down the AC after it has cooled down a hot interior : >)

OP
OP
D

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: IL viper club at Autobahn CC july 23rd. gonna be hot!! ugh how to keep engine coo

Might need to buy a gen 4! I'll try to run with the revs lower. The car is fun to run in boost so it's hard to keep my foot out of it ! Last time out I could only get two good ripping laps before timing was being pulled out and it started running slower and slower due to the temps. Might try to run the heater too.
Thanks Paul for the tips!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run 70% distilled water, 30% coolant and 2 bottles of water wetter.
As someone else said too, change revs when you can, I pit at 235 temp too:(
I am sure you do this too, but I make sure to cool down the engine before shutting it off.

If you have access to power, take a fan for your motor.

I have been wanting to get on that track! Have fun!

OP
OP
D

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well....she ran hot. 240-245 mostly, but it did hit 250 one run and the water temp light actually came on. never boils over or anything, just hot as can be. power goes out the window. next mission, shroud the radiator, perhaps replace the stock rad for an aftermarket one. Once I pass emissions, stand alone computer is next after that.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dang, those are some hot temps!

I havn't heard if aftermarket radiators make a difference. Archer racing guys suggested I stay stock, make sure to take it out frquently and clean it, same with intake filter.

Lots of track critters haha!

OP
OP
D

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm wondering if perhaps mine is clogged a bit ? You never know I guess...

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Archer says they clean theres every other event!

I was shocked how much debris gets sucked up in there.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any pictures from the event???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235