I'm Back!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been away a while on other ventures and playing with different toys but recently bought a SRT8 Jeep Cherokee and just yesterday bought a 2013 Viper GTS. Since it's raining and raining and raining her in Georgia the last several days, we didn't drive it home and will pick it up sometime this week.

Once I get it home, will start tinkering with it and work up a few mods.

Will cruise these forums for updates on what rim and tire combos for drag radials, etc so I can take it to the track for some baseline runs.

Glad to see that Viper is alive and these forums are still linking the community together.

Talk to you folks soon!

Tom

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, good to hear from you, Tom! Still running your exhaust on the '99 ACR and it still sounds and works great. So tell us a little bit about your new Viper. Like you I just recently picked up a '13 too. Betting you really like it. For some reason I remembered you being in FL last we spoke, which admittedly was probably 8 or 10 years ago. Welcome back and fill us in on the new ride.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom

PM me your email address

Been away a while on other ventures and playing with different toys but recently bought a SRT8 Jeep Cherokee and just yesterday bought a 2013 Viper GTS. Since it's raining and raining and raining her in Georgia the last several days, we didn't drive it home and will pick it up sometime this week.

Will cruise these forums for updates on what rim and tire combos for drag radials, etc so I can take it to the track for some baseline runs.

Glad to see that Viper is alive and these forums are still linking the community together.

Talk to you folks soon!

Tom

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Talk to you folks soon!

Tom

Tom, great to hear from you and have you back on the forums. If you are ever in NYCity, let me know... I will throw some bison burgers on the grill and we can talk Viper

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow this really is a blast from the past. I still have your drag racing video from, I think the year 2000. Your cone intakes on my old 2000 GTS are in England now. Welcome back.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies....let me see if I can answer some....

You must be registered for see images attach

Was raining last night so left it in the showroom and will pick it up this week.

Mamba, feel free to PM me contact info, would enjoy anything car related.

Tried to upload the window sticker for specs....but only have it as PDF

Will try to get it to Atlanta Dragway as soon as I can get a few break in miles on it

Yes, moved from Florida in 2006. Nice to have 4 seasons....but what a rainy summer this year!

Good to see you are still playing with Vipers, Jack! Will PM you.

I will take you up on that, Krate! LOL

Regarding the price i paid for the GTS, I don't know if there are any ethical issues with discussing price paid, so for now I will
try to protect the identity of the dealer. If someone can shed light on this subject and that there is nothing offensive in posting
prices, then I'd be glad to share my deal with the Viper community. But honestly, there wasn't any hard work involved in getting
the price down, as the dealers where ready to move all of the Vipers that I had looked at. My GTS had an MSRP of 142k and
the purchase price was 128k (not including tax, tag, incidentials)

Unfortunately, I feel that as the 2014's start hitting dealerships, and with typical depreciation, the deals will continue to improve
on 2013's remaining in inventory. I was working with 2 different dealers within 20 miles of each other and they were both quite
aggressive on pricing. One dealer has 7 Vipers inbound and 2 2013's in inventory that they are very motivated to sell. PM me if
anyone has interest and I will forward the dealers contact info. One was Track Pack SRT and the other is a Red GTS/Tan Interior
with Dealer applied White Racing Stripes. I opted for the Black/Silver GTS, it has a elegantly bad assp stance!

Thanks again for your replies, it's good to be back. Good to hear from you guys again.

Tom

Currently in the garage......
2013 Viper GTS Black/Silver: Stock for Now
2013 ZL-1 Camaro: 644 RWHP with minor bolt ons
2012 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2006 Mercedes SLR Mclaren: 10:80 @ 129 MPH
1997 Dodge Viper GTS: 9:62 @ 152 MPH (BTR 750SS)
1987 Buick T-Type

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Tom, welcome back.

The rear wheel/tire fitment on the Gen V is identical to the Gen 3 and 4. Same offsets and widths for all three gens. Even the brake calipers are identical.

Tony

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,are you the Jet Pilot that I met at FLL in 97 ish .I was in my 97 B/W GTS ???? Didn't you do upgrades to the Gen2s and Drag racing videos ????

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you have a nice garage and wow a ZL-1 Camaro with 644 RWHP minor bolt ons!!!!!! Say it isn't so. It's going too cost me a lot of $$$$ just too get the same HP out of my Gen3.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took Delivery today....first impressions....(I know....this stuff is probably already posted
all through the forums, Im just still wound up after driving it the first 125 miles)

1. Clutch pedal throw is LONG....Im not very tall so its a reach to fully engage to the floor.

2. Interesting that the launch mode is deactivated until 500 miles...lol

3. Shifter is real tight....and the 2-3 shift takes a bit of getting used to as its almost a straight up push

4. can certainly feel a difference between street and race modes in the shock settings

5. Side sills were not burning hot and actually I was surprised that the car seemed to maintain less
then 190 degree water temp most of the time with 201 as the highest i noticed.

6. The electronics are quantum leaps ahead of previous vipers...and most other cars that I have
owned and driven.

7. The GTS interior is very nicely done. The door panel armrest fit perfectly to my left arm, I wish that
the seat would go about 1" lower though.

8. The Nürburgring track outline is debossed into the rubber passenger side door recess.

9. Once its broke in...LOL...I will say that it pulls impressively hard above 4500 RPM and especially
noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear.

10. The car cover is very very nice! as is the leather and embroidered duffle bag that it comes in.

The dealer, Troncalli CPD in *******, GA was pleasant to deal with. The SRT rep, Tyler even went
out and bought a Die Cast 1:18 scale 2013 Viper that was solid black and took it back to the paint
shop and had the Silver stripes put on it and gave it to me.

Will drive it down to Atlanta this weekend which should get it to the 500 mile mark, and hope to
get it over to Atlanta Dragway soon for a few stock baseline passes.

Thanks for the info on wheel, tire combos. I will start looking for a set of rears to fit drag radials.
Anyone hear of half shaft breakage issues with these?

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super pretty combination! Hope it stays unbroken and gives you lots of fun.

A dealer near me just got hold of a black/silver GTS with not a lot of other options. Extremely tempting if my business goes well before somebody else snags it. Then again, you can have anything you want in this country, if only you tell enough lies on the credit app ...