I'm looking at buying an SRT and was wondering what to watch out for?

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I\'m looking at buying an SRT and was wondering what to watch out for?

I'm looking at some '03 and '04's and was wondering what I need to look out for. I've heard some of them have engine issues and I'm not exactly sure what the problems were and was wanting some advice from you guys. The cars I've been looking at all have less than 5k mi. if that makes much difference. Thanks--Andy

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: I\'m looking at buying an SRT and was wondering what to watch out for?

I looked at a lot before buying - talked to alot of people also - look for wear on seat bolster - could mean a lot of in and out. Check nose real good underneath to see if it has been scraped/repainted. Rubber in rear fenderwheels - could mean been doing lots of burn outs. Check sills for abrasions. Check brake rotors - I found one with 3000 miles but the brake rotors had LOTS of wear - come to find out the guy had been tracking it a lot. A lot of this stuff is minor but will give you a general idea of how it was taken care of.

Bruce

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is real important that you put the car on a lift and make the seller remove the belly pan so you can inspect the frame. Yo want to look at the front and rear clips, these are the main frame rails on each side of the front and rear of the car. You want to look at the area where they bend and see if there has been any repainting or cracking of the finish as the original is powder coated. If there is you know the viper has been wrecked and you want to walk away. Also look at the mounting points of the upper and lower control arms as these are also places where any accidents will show up. It goes without saying that an inspection of the wheels, both inside and outside, will tell a lot also.

Reaction score

Contact you local Viper Club to get the name of the best local Viper Tech and pay to have the car inspected including a print out of the service history.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess there is a little profit margin built in when you can sell a car with an 86K sticker for 68K and NOT lose money.. amazing.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You can get leftover BRAND NEW 06's for upper 60's also - mspr $89K

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm looking at some '03 and '04's and was wondering what I need to look out for. I've heard some of them have engine issues and I'm not exactly sure what the problems were and was wanting some advice from you guys. The cars I've been looking at all have less than 5k mi. if that makes much difference. Thanks--Andy

COPS

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you are looking but have you driven any? When you drive them, watch out for falling in love and driving one home sooner than you planned.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You also want to be sure you are not buying a Skip Barber School car with 5000 miles on it as that is like 50,000 street miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302