I'm not a rocket scientist...................

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m not a rocket scientist...................

I'd been looking for a Gen III for many months and recently decided to buy from a dealer who took my Gen I in trade. The deal was satisfactory to both of us and I had no complaints.

Prior to this I had been looking on Ebay and the VCA classifieds, thinking I would sell my '94 to a private party and take the $$$ to buy an '03 or later.

Yesterday, at an AL/TN event, a friend of mine (and VCA member too) reminded me of something which I previously hadn't considered: I saved over $1000 by trading with a dealer because I was only taxed on the difference between the 2 Vipers.

I'm not trying to encourage potential buyers to avoid purchasing from private individuals, but the tax benefits and/or liabilities should be factored into the equation when considering purchasing an expensive vehicle.

Don

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m not a rocket scientist...................

I decided to trade my '94 in on the '06 coupe for the same reason (Hey - who needs 4 Vipers anyway?) I will be saving over $3,000 in sales tax. Added to the price we settled on for the '94 I came out with about what I could sell it for myself without all of the hassle. Sorry to let it go but someone is going to end up with an ultra clean '94.

Bob K

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m not a rocket scientist...................

Excellent point BUT - Not all state tax codes account for the same benefit...