I'm sure its been asked before, but questions about fluids.....

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new to me 2001 RT-10 needs all if its fluids changed (has 31k miles). Before making a trip to the autoparts store I thought I'd ask here.

This will be my daily driver except on nasty days. I'll put about 15k a year on the car, mostly highway. I will be autocrossing (10-12 events a year), drivers education days at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson (twice a year) and a few drags (5-10 events a year).

I search and found that people tend to replace all the fluids with stock Mopar fluids. Concerdering the type and amount of my driving would you use anything different?

Alternative fluids that I found from searching and intervals in () is anything out of line?

Radiator: Prestone (every two years)
Engine: Mobil 1 10w-40 diesel (3k miles or before DE Days)
Transmission: must say this MOPAR "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant SAE 75W-85
Rear: Royal Purple or Mobil 1 + additives (once a year)
Brake: Castrol SRF (twice a year)
Clutch: same as brakes (one a year)
Power steering: link is this OK for a 2001 (one a year) http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...d-Flush-Question?highlight=transmission+fluid
Windshield: RainX :)

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 7

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the OEM mopar fluids. They have them spected for a reason. As long as you keep to your maitence record you should be just fine. On the brakes if you are doing lots of auto cross you may need to bleed them more often and use a high temp fluid.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM should be fine. Just make sure to change them regularly. If you can do them yourself, even better. A complete fluid flush on my '01 back in '08 was just over $1,000.00.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay with OEM...except use the Mopar long life coolant vs the green stuff. Mobil1 0w-40 is fine too. P/s fluid should be the clear mopar fluid. There is a tsb about the p/s fluid that explains this.

Your Viper looks great! RT/10 in VRY is a great choice.

Last edited:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If MSRC is where you're going to be tracking the car, go see Joe at PST. $1,000 for all the fluids is WAY high. They prep my car for track days (swap out wheels/tires, pads and do the tech inspection prior to the event). They're very honest and good at getting a car ready for the track.

Nice car and it sounds like you've done some research ... never hurts to have a tech with a couple of decades of experience to help you get set up for what is obviously going to be a busy season! Give Joe a call and let him guide you. Things are going to be a little different with our 110 degree track days.

OP
OP
A

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic, but where you live Ataim? Car's a beauty!

bA$$fan, I live in fort worth out towards haslet. I've autoxed my boxster S and Miata's. Driving the viper a huge difference. If the weather is nice week I'm going to run the 8th mile done in kennedale

Sounds like its mopar for most fluids.

On another note does anyone know of any retail ramp that can be driven up on? I was thinking about making some from 2 by 12s

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bA$$fan, I live in fort worth out towards haslet. I've autoxed my boxster S and Miata's. Driving the viper a huge difference. If the weather is nice week I'm going to run the 8th mile done in kennedale

Sounds like its mopar for most fluids.

On another note does anyone know of any retail ramp that can be driven up on? I was thinking about making some from 2 by 12s

I'm up by Eagle Mountain lake. Would love to see your car sometime. I have a 2000 Steel Gray striped GTS in the garage. I went with Amsoil for some of my fluids instead of Mopar, prices for some of them are ridiculous from Mopar. I trust their products. I still need to do my brake fluid and coolant sometime soon. Just got a mityvac from my sister for xmas, going to do it myself. If you are taking it somewhere to get done, I'd listen to Birds suggestion. I don't track my car and don't push her hard much and like working on things myself.

Do some searches on here for the ramps. I know Dave6666 has some, he's local around the metroplex too.

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@ Ataim: You have great taste in cars & color,:D I just got mine on Dec. 6th from NV. Glad you asked these questions because I'm thinking about changing all my fluids as well because I don't have the maintenance records from the previous owner and the dealer I bought it from was a Chevrolet Dealer so I'm not sure if they went the full mile and replaced all these fluids. My guess is if it costs this much, they didn't do it.... Here's a couple pics of my ride:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950